Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you clean for your cleaning lady?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:33 pm
This is my first time ever having a cleaning lady. I have a very low income and I am only paying someone to come for 1 hour every other week. All I want her to do is clean the kitchen and bathroom. Those are the 2 rooms that need heavy scrubbing. The bedrooms and LR/DR I can vacuum and deal with.

Is it okay to ask her to do dishes? Or if I want her to clean the sink, am I supposed to do the dishes before she comes? Also if I want her to clean the counters, do I have to clear everything off or does she do that? If she IS supposed to clear surfaces (table, counter), then how does she know where everything goes? Do I show her the 1st time and then she figures out where it is the next time? Does she just put things in a pile or put it where she thinks is a good place for it (in pantry, in cabinet, in garbage, etc)?

What cleaning supplies do I need? I have cleaning spray, sponges, paper towels, clorox wipes, toilet cleaner, mop, broom - do I need anything stronger or tougher. Should I ask her what to buy before the 1st time she comes?

Thank you in advance

sunflower_seed

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:45 pm
with kitchen be careful regarding kashrus, she wont automatically know what goes where.first time give her simple task and show everything. be clear what you want. with time she will know what you expect and need less input.

kb

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:46 pm
I have my cleaning lady wash my dishes, but it takes time, so if you rather her do something you would rather not do, then wash them first. But you certainly don't NEED to.

Whatever soaps you have are fine. You can ask her when she's there (assuming you're happy with her) if she wants you to buy any other soaps for next time.

I like to straighten before my cleaning lady comes because then she can work more efficiently, and I know that things are going where they belong. But in my experience, they just pile everything up neatly if you don't put things away first.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:47 pm
I have my cleaning woman do my floors and my bathroom. Becuase she is only at my house for a limited amount of time, I make sure that the floors are clear - the toys are put away, etc. because if she has to clear the floor, that takes time away from her cleaning the floor and the bathroom.

If she is only at your place for an hour, and you want her to clean the floors and the bathroom, make sure everything is ready for that - otherwise she will spend an hour picking up toys and not clean your floors.

lakewood mom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:50 pm
I generally empty my bathroom garbage cans and clean up toys from the playroom floor- I want them put back in designated bins...

Lizajen

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:51 pm
The more specific you are, the more the cleaning lady will know exactly what your expectations are of her. The first time there, I'd be available, and let her know that you are available if she has any questions.

Simple1

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:12 pm
If it's just an hour, that is a very short time, so you are best off doing the basics yourself like clearing the clutter and washing the dishes. That way she can get straight to cleaning without wasting time.

I try to clear everything away before she comes, otherwise things get lost because like you said, she doesn't know where things belong. Or she might throw important stuff such as receipts or bills in the garbage. If I had daily help, then it might make sense to teach her where to put everything.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:23 pm
If it is only 1 hour she may not have time to do all the items you have listed. I'd definitely do the easier and quicker items on the list and leave the deeper cleaning for her. Also, if she is only coming 1 hour, every other week she won't really have a chance to learn your home and the proper places that things go.

I would wash dishes and put away and completely clear the counters. This way she can come in and immediately start cleaning rather then just straightening up. Same in the bathrooms.

For supplies: rags, cleaning solution for counters and floors and\or a spray for counters. Windex for mirrors and windows. Sponge or scrubber for stove. Scrubber for bathroom tiles. Bathroom cleaner like Ajax (or can use cleaning solution used in kitchen). Plastic gloves. Mop\Bucket. Broom\Dustpan.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:45 pm
No. I hire her to clean.
Obviously would remove anything unbearably shameful lol. And had to teach her about her way in the kitchen.

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 4:56 pm
I would prefer that the time be spent on the things I don't do, like making floors, counters, and sinks sparkle.

So, yes, I wash dishes and clear counters. It's too easy for mistakes to be made that cost me time otherwise.

You should discuss in advance what they will bring in the way of cleaning supplies, and what you should have on hand.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
This is my first time ever having a cleaning lady. I have a very low income and I am only paying someone to come for 1 hour every other week. All I want her to do is clean the kitchen and bathroom. Those are the 2 rooms that need heavy scrubbing. The bedrooms and LR/DR I can vacuum and deal with.

Is it okay to ask her to do dishes? Or if I want her to clean the sink, am I supposed to do the dishes before she comes? Also if I want her to clean the counters, do I have to clear everything off or does she do that? If she IS supposed to clear surfaces (table, counter), then how does she know where everything goes? Do I show her the 1st time and then she figures out where it is the next time? Does she just put things in a pile or put it where she thinks is a good place for it (in pantry, in cabinet, in garbage, etc)?

What cleaning supplies do I need? I have cleaning spray, sponges, paper towels, clorox wipes, toilet cleaner, mop, broom - do I need anything stronger or tougher. Should I ask her what to buy before the 1st time she comes?

Thank you in advance

To you answer your subject question in the OP, I organize the house ahead of time so that my cleaner can clean.

More specifically, I leave the dishes for her to clean as a task before she gets to cleaning the counters, sinks, gas range, etc. But if I only had a cleaner for 1 hour, I would make sure to do the dishes myself as I prefer that the scrubbing and floors get taken care of.

I like to clear surfaces but teach my cleaner where things go so that she can put things away if they are out and so she can put the dishes away after she has dried them. But if I am pressed for time I do all this myself as teh scrubbing is most important to me.

For the kitchen and bathroom I suggest Softscrub With Bleach (for kitchen sinks, counters and bathtub) rags, Mr. Clean for floors, Windex for bathroom mirror.

After you teach her teh first time, tell her the next time "please do the same as last time" and reiterate again everything that needs to be done as well as what she should use to get the job done so she gets more familiar with it. As time goes on, she should be able to do on her own without forgetting.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:44 pm
Of course I cleaned for the cleaning lady--doesn't everyone?

YOU decide what you want her to do and then make it possible for her to do it. You do not want her to do stuff that is easy for you to do, like picking up toys and throwing them in a bin; you want her to vacuum the carpet and mop the linoleum, which is clumsy and a pain. So you pick up the toys so that she can vacuum and mop.

Some if not most cleaning ladies won't touch anything on a table or other surface--they'll dust right around it or over it but not move it. And rightly so, because if they move something of yours you may not be able to find it and accuse them of taking it or hiding it. Since there's not much point dusting a surface that's covered in clutter, it behooves you to declutter before the cleaner comes. If you're pressed for time, sweep the whole mess into an empty carton or laundry basket and deal with it later, when you can put it back on a clean surface.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:51 pm
No way! She comes to clean, so that's what she does

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:15 pm
What's a cleaning lady What Scratching Head

Wink Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry