Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Likes Blanket On Her Face
1  2  Next

luppamom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:11 am
My almost 4 month old baby likes to sleep with a blanket. She especially likes it when the blanket touches her face. How dangerous are blankets? Is it an extra precaution or something I should really be worried about?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:19 am
I don't have an answer, just a suggestion...maybe a cellular blanket is a good idea?

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:22 am
My baby was like this also. I put a fuzzy blanket under her head and tucked it under the mattress very tightly (it was a pack n play so it was extra secure in the corners) and it helped.

luppamom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:56 am
Thanks!! What's a cellular blanket? With all the SIDS hype, I am never sure where to draw the line. I am a first time mother :-), but things that we are giving up such as stomach sleeping and blankets certainly have physical and emotional benefits to the baby. I feel like it's such a juggling act.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:59 am
Maybe put her to sleep with it touching her face then move it a little later. Check on her though. Would a hood work? Maybe she would be happy in a fuzzy sweatshirt?

luppamom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 4:06 am
Removing it when she's sleeping is risky, because she tends to wake up if she gets cold and then no guarentees that she's going back to sleep. A hood is an interesting idea and is definitely worth a try! Not sure if it will work though, because I feel like she might also be doing this to block out light, but I want her to differentiate between night and day so I try not to make the room too dark when it's day.

ven

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 4:54 am
I gave my baby a big handkerchief of light fabric to cuddle with. He needed it badly as he wouldn't take a pacifier but needed something to comfort him. Even now when he is 5 he does cuddle with it sometimes.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 5:28 am
There are baby blankets out there now that are sort of mesh like and breathable. Definitely worth looking into. They might block just enough light to let her settle, but not enough to throw off her sleep pattern.

hoboken

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 7:22 am
A hood doesn't seem like a good idea. Babies aren't supposed to sleep with hats on. And a loose blanket in a crib with an infant sounds like a reckless move. She can easily get trapped in it if she rolls over.
Put her in a wearable blanket or swaddle her. Might be a rough night or two until she gets used to it, but better safe than sorry.

luppamom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 7:35 am
She's too old for swaddling. She kicks it off and manages to grab the blanket and pull it over her face :-)! I had a SwaddleMe that I hardly used which she already outgrew. Are there any types of wearable baby blankets that are cozy and would fit a baby wearing a 6-9 month size? Also, anyone know if any of these types of things are available in Eretz Yisroel?

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:39 am
A blanket with air holes
My baby loves to do this too!

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:47 am
My pediatrician said nothing in crib with the babies. Nothing. No blanket, no toys, no crib bumpers.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:20 am
I'm the nothing in the crib kind. Except once a sitter, young but very old, decided "a baby needs cloth" and put Goldale to sleep with a cloth and since then she has been cloth-obsessed. A real fixation. LOL she grabs all cloths she sees and while it's adorable it scares me...

Elbowmac

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:45 am
Safest option is to have nothing in the crib but a sheet, but if your LO really needs something to snuggle with, how about a lovey?

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Blankets....._ba_3

Or this: http://www.amazon.com/aden-ana.....Lovey

You can take it away once she falls asleep, then give it back at night as needed.

wife2

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:09 pm
can you give her something smaller than a blanket, like a thin square that is not long enough to get wrapped around or stuck? a small kerchief or cloth baby undershirt?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 1:24 pm
What about a fleece sleep sack- looks like a sleeper but the bottom is shaped like a sack and its fleecy/fuzzy.
Also yes ago, someone gave my new born a very small teddy with a small square of soft fabric ( like a mini blanket) sewn onto the teddy- it just might do the trick. Sorry I don't know where she bought it, or even who gave it to me way back when
Anon in case the giver is here

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 2:30 pm
Clarissa wrote:
My pediatrician said nothing in crib with the babies. Nothing. No blanket, no toys, no crib bumpers.

this.

I put my baby in a double sleeper so he is not cold and he sleeps in a bare crib. helps me sleep with peace of mind.

elliegator8

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 12:16 am
The solution for me was a blanket with holes in it.. a loosely crocheted blanket

luppamom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 11:51 am
Is a blanket w/ holes OK or could they get trapped in that? I'm back at this topic b/c DD is not napping nicely ever since I took the blanket away. I try really hard not to give it to her unless she is in her stroller (or somewhere she doesn't associate w/ sleeping). I also want to figure out a solution before it gets really cold. (I'm in Israel.)

Also, those sleeper bags that someone mentioned, can I buy them in Israel?

chanee

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 12:05 pm
Did you try the mini blanket with the bear attached thingie?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics