Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do Chassidish 50+ y.o. women wear hooded coats?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
I have been told by several ladies. It is not done outside the house and gym. I suppose the same halachic grounds that make blue denim assur.

You can wear a rain bonnet.

Different amother.
What do you suggest one should wear on her head when it's very cold outside and NOT raining? A wool hat to squash and flatten her wig? A hood is looser fitting and doesn't ruin a wig setting.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:38 am
I just wear my shaitel. If my ears are cold I guess I could wear either ear muffs or a hat. I'm also like the look of a silk scarf tied under the chin, but that's not really warm. I don't like hoods at all on the head. You should do whatever you like.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
I have been told by several ladies. It is not done outside the house and gym. I suppose the same halachic grounds that make blue denim assur.

You can wear a rain bonnet.

Halachic grounds? What is this, the latest stupid "ruling" pretending to be based on halacha? Sweatshirt hoods and pockets are verboten! They are as dangerous to your soul as the evil denim! I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this garbage.

mommy9

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:52 pm
What about a shayna coat?

Butterfly

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 1:00 pm
OP I think I can understand where you are coming from... Refined chassidus...
I appologise if some might take it as an offensive definition. I sincerely don't mean it in a negative way at all.

You may want to consider posting this thread on the Chasidish forum and hear responses from women 'your age' who can relate to 'your' standards of chassidos /dresscodes, and hear from their prospective.

I am over fifty too. I know that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a hooded coat because it's not the standard dresscode within my circles.

However, my daughter, whoms dress code is anytime as tznius as mine, if not more, her wearing a hooded coat is no big deal at her age simply because nowadays it's commonly worn by young chassidish girls.

At this point of my life where I feel a stronger sensitivity to the cold than I have in the past, I would definetely consider buying one that comes with a 'detachable' hood so I can use it during very cold weathers where I'd feel the need for that extra protection.

Do what feels right for you.

mandr

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 5:39 pm
OP, you're right! I never thought about it but now that you point it out, you are completely on the mark. I never see women with hooded coats in Williamsburg or Monroe. In Monsey, rarely. So interesting.

That said, I'm chassidish but under 30 and I always wear a hood if it's really cold or raining and I don't have an umbrella.

spring13

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 6:17 pm
I can see how you would be worried about how it looks, if no one else seems to wear one. But the question is, why are people avoiding them? This isn't like wearing seamed stockings, or avoiding certain colors: a hood is a style element that has no negative connotations or hashkafic overtones and has a practical purpose. There's nothing untznius about it, it's just not popular. So the only question for you is, how much do you care about the relative popularity of a coat feature that you find useful? Maybe other people will see it and say "oh wow, I've been dying for a hooded coat, my head is freezing. I'm so going to get one next year." Is it possible that it's not really that big of a deal?

Nicole

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 8:31 pm
Does anyone else think this thread is hilarious?

Butterfly

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 9:11 pm
Nicole wrote:
Does anyone else think this thread is hilarious?

Why spill insensitive comments over poster's (real people) concerns?

What may seem hilarious to you may be serious to others.

And vise versa, what may seem serious to you may sound hilarious to others.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:21 am
mandr wrote:
OP, you're right! I never thought about it but now that you point it out, you are completely on the mark. I never see women with hooded coats in Williamsburg or Monroe. In Monsey, rarely. So interesting.

That said, I'm chassidish but under 30 and I always wear a hood if it's really cold or raining and I don't have an umbrella.

I always see women in Williamsburg wearing me'ills, whatever theyre called and they all come with hoods.
I use a hooded jacket or coat and never thought not to, I don't think it's an issue unless you make it into one.
I'm in my early thirties so I'm young enough but I'd probably wear it at 55 and 75 if it was a normal, good coat, for practical reasons.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:20 pm
I think many women just don't wear hooded coats because they're not always as classy/stylish/fashionable. A fitted wool coat or trench coat doesn't usually come with a hood.

Then again the fashionable excuse doesn't explain those super ugly rain bonnets, so since that market does exist, tznius is definitely a factor for some.

The age discrepancy can also be explained by the need to push baby carriages. If you've ever tried to push a baby carriage while struggling with an umbrella...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics