Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Jet Lag

luppamom

Post Sat, Oct 25 2014, 9:55 pm
I just came back from the US with my almost 4 month old. When we were in the US, the baby adapted to the new time right away and was sleeping well. But, now when we returned to EY on Wednesday, she is having a hard time sleeping. At night she is waking up every 2 to 2.5 hrs. and doesn't seem to be compensating for the lack of sleep during the day (is not napping a lot). Before we left, she was sleeping 6-8 hrs. w/o waking at night. Any suggestions?

Dolly1

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 3:57 am
It must be very hard! But this is what usually happens. Coming back is ALWAYS worse than going there. It will take ur baby about a week to get back over the jet lag. This is one thing I always dread when coming back: the babies wake up at night, u spend most of the night awake, trying to entertain a little baby... and there is too much time to think and that´s when u start missing everybody so much more...
Hugs and patience!!!
Ur baby will get back to normal before you know it. For now, just take it ez and dont stress about it, there isnt much u can do!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:30 am
Like she said above! Much easier going there than coming back. My kids took a full week to get back on schedule when we went this summer. Your baby sounds overtired if she's not napping in the day or sleeping in the night. Play around with the nap times - even if it means (a) late nap(s) and then a late bedtime, you can slowly adapt her to a normal schedule. It will take some time but you'll get there!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 4:58 am
Really cool for all of you who it took a week to get your babies back to regular schedule... but for me it took two weeks for my ds to sleep a semi normal stretch at night (think 8 hours instead of 12 for a one yr old) and a full month until he was totally back to himself.
Jetlag is the worst!!

We used mello chews when we were really desperate...

luppamom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 7:14 pm
OK, Op here. I am almost at the week point. My almost 4 month old is still not sleeping properly. How does the jet lag generally work? Will the baby get back on schedule herself or do I have to try to train her to sleep again. I don't think that she is on US time anymore. She has started doing her 6 hr. stretch again, but it's not always at night. Yesterday she went to sleep at 8:15 pm and woke up at 4:30 am and around 6:30ish.
Today she would hardly nap. I finally put her down for a nap at around 5:00ish and she stayed asleep waking up twice at 6ish to feed and from gas. Then she slept until 12:45!!! Not sure what she is going to do tonight. What should I do? Is this still jet lag or is her schedule totally messed up? Any ideas of what I can do? I am trying to take her outside and put her down for earlier naps but she doesn't always cooperate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics