Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Shabbos Bar Mitzvah Kiddush in Flatbush

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:19 am
We daven in a shul in Flatbush that does not have a place to make a kiddush. So we would have to rent out a hall. That means we will need a caterer, party planner, waiters and hall. On past experience for those of you that live in Flatbush how much does it cost to make a kiddush? And how many people do you order a kiddush for. I spoke to some caterers and they said between 250 and 350 people. It sounds like a lot of people to me.
I have noticed lots of people started making boys parties and a large kiddush and now I understand why. I don't want to make a boys party because I need to invite relatives and friends that don't live in Flatbush and I am not looking to host so many extra people for Shabbos. All advice will be appreciated. I am not looking to spend 10,000.00 to 15,000.00 on a Shabbos bar mitzvah and then make an affair during the week.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:09 pm
How many people? Nobody can answer that for you. It all depends on how many you plan to invite, how big your family is, how many will come from your shul. How much to spend? Again, it depends on how fancy you want to make it. Plenty of people make without a party planner. As a point of reference, we made a Kiddush in our house for about 150 people with a party planner and waiters for about $2500.

We also made a Bar Mitzvah kiddush in shul (but got the hall for free) for about 110 people (in the summer when many were away) for around $1500, but I made much of the food to save money. Obviously hall rental will be more, but some places don't charge for it if you use the in-house caterer. It all depends on your means and what's important to you.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:35 pm
OP here
I have no clue how to caculate how many people. We would have to invite the entire shul after davening. Does my husband have to invite the shul where he davens schacharis (I.e shul sends out e-mail about kiddush)? How do you know if people decide to bring all their kids with them even though the invite says Mr. & Mrs.?
The shuls that we looked into the halls would not look classy if we skip the sweet table. We don't want to look like we are cutting corners. We don't plan to go crazy and have a sushi bar and carving stations.
Can you break down the costs of the kiddush in your house? What did you serve? How much did the party planner cost? A kiddush for $2,500.00 sounds very reasonable. But if we do it in our house we can't invite tons of people.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:43 pm
I think by a Kiddush most people just assume the kids are welcome, even though they're not usually on the invitation. I have never heard of kids not invited to a Kiddush.
I think at a Kiddush in your home, especially if there's not a lot of space, people don't stay as long.
You may want to ask someone from your shul, who has made a bar mitzvah Kiddush, how many people to expect. Also a party planner who deals with your neighborhood, or community, will probably know.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 8:30 am
OP. I know kids are invited but there are people that come with their entire family and take a table and sit for an hour and make a lunch out of your kiddush and then there are those that bring one or two kids and the kid takes some cake and kugel and leave in twenty minute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics