Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Important papers

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:55 pm
Curious. What sorts of papers need to be filed and kept? I'm talking besides for the obvious birth certificates, rental agreements, professional licenses etc.
Payment stubs for medical/car insurance (my company seems to always misprocess payments), donation receipts... What else?
I am finally trying to get organized and hoping to not have to worry next February/march for tax season... And also just curious about general bills etc so I don't grey caught off guard. Phone bills? Electric bills? Credit card bills? Bank statements?
Anon as family knows I have been working on this major project for a while sorting through crazy amounts of paper stuck in all corners of our home...

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:15 am
Bump.
Need to know what to save/toss.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:57 am
amother wrote:
Curious. What sorts of papers need to be filed and kept? I'm talking besides for the obvious birth certificates, rental agreements, professional licenses etc.
Payment stubs for medical/car insurance (my company seems to always misprocess payments), donation receipts... What else?
I am finally trying to get organized and hoping to not have to worry next February/march for tax season... And also just curious about general bills etc so I don't grey caught off guard. Phone bills? Electric bills? Credit card bills? Bank statements?
Anon as family knows I have been working on this major project for a while sorting through crazy amounts of paper stuck in all corners of our home...

Do you have access to your old phone bills, electric bills, credit card bills, banks statements online? If you do (check to see how far back you can access online) you might be able to log in and save copies of bank statements and credit card statements directly to your computer and then you can just shred all the extra papers. As far as documents you on need to save for tax purposes (call your accountant now, while he is not busy, slow season is November/December) scanning in awesome.  
If you don't have someone to call and ask, I would save bank and credit card statements for sure.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:18 pm
I don't have an accountant. Long story, new marriage, new community, new job... First time we need to file taxes.I want to be organized for tax season!!
What other stuff should we save? Most bank statements etc have gotten lost but is there a point to save any if some were missing? Is there any other reason to save documents besides taxes?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have an accountant. Long story, new marriage, new community, new job... First time we need to file taxes.I want to be organized for tax season!!
What other stuff should we save? Most bank statements etc have gotten lost but is there a point to save any if some were missing? Is there any other reason to save documents besides taxes?

Certain documents need to be saved in case of audit.
You should find an accountant to ask this question to.
You will need a copy of your marriage license for tax purposes this coming year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics