Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Is chulent meat interchangeable with beef stew meat?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:41 pm
I'd like to make a goulash but only have chulent meat instead of beef stew. Would it work? Would the chulent meat be soft, tender, and tasty if I cook it in a crockpot with the rest of the goulash ingredients?

nechamad

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:21 pm
I would use it. Sounds good!

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:24 pm
Probably. I thought from the title you were asking the other way, in which case I'd say no because I tried it and found stew meat was less tender, juicy, and tasty in my chulent. So I'd say from that experience that cholent meat is the better quality. It probably wants to be cooked for a long time though.

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:25 pm
Beef stew is definitely a leaner cut than cholent meat. It will not be the same but it is totally interchangeable. The crockpot makes everything softer and and tender(er)... Although it wont be as soft and it will be more grainy it will still be delicious! Enjoy!

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 6:57 pm
unless you're using flanken on the bone ... any cubed beef will make beef stew aka goulash

debsey

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 7:09 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I'd like to make a goulash but only have chulent meat instead of beef stew. Would it work? Would the chulent meat be soft, tender, and tasty if I cook it in a crockpot with the rest of the goulash ingredients?

It should be fine.
Can you share your goulash recipe? I've never managed to make a good one and if your SN is Amelia Bedelia you MUST be a good cook!

Volunteer

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 7:19 pm
Generally speaking, both beef stew meat and "chulent meat" are mixed pieces cut from miscellaneous parts of the steer. They could be the pretty much the same, although one type may be leaner than the other, depending on how the butcher defines "chulent meat" (which isn't a regular specifically defined cut, as brisket or shoulder roast are, for example).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics