Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Rhyming first name, middle inital

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 2:54 pm
Love a name combo, but doubting because of a rhyming issue

let's say (not the real name, so don't comment on these names) Guy Yonatan. So then he would be Guy Y. LASTNAME.

Is that weird???

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:26 pm
idk - you said "dont comment" but then asked if it's weird. This wont bring too many responses.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:29 pm
I meant comment on the topic which is about first name rhyming with middle initial, not the name given, because that is not the real name, just an example!

mommyla

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:45 pm
So Tzvi Chaim Weiss will be Tzvi C. Weiss. Not weird unless you plan on calling him by first name/middle initial or you're worried about how it will look on the door of his law practice.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:04 pm
I see the problem and I would advise caution. Figure out something else.

Tzveesy-Weesy above there would be the tease name. Life is hard enough.

"Hello I would like to talk to Tzvi C Weiss" is hard to say.

OF COURSE you should think about how something is going to look on the door of his law practice!

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
Love a name combo, but doubting because of a rhyming issue

let's say (not the real name, so don't comment on these names) Guy Yonatan. So then he would be Guy Y. LASTNAME.

Is that weird???

it wouldn't matter to me

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:08 pm
Is the middle name going to be part of his legal name? I can't think of too many times a person refers to himself or is referred to as "first name, middle initial." So how many opportunities are there to even notice the rhyming?

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:16 pm
I know a guy with a common biblical name and a common last name, and he uses his middle initial all the time.

If he didn't he would be getting mail, mortgage bills, citations, and who knows what horrible confusions with lots and lots of men, even in other locales. Awful identity mix-ups. So middle names are part of you and initials and names really matter.

And people adore to make jokes and games with other people's names if there is the slightest possibility of it.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommyla

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:16 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I see the problem and I would advise caution. Figure out something else.

Tzveesy-Weesy above there would be the tease name. Life is hard enough.

"Hello I would like to talk to Tzvi C Weiss" is hard to say.

OF COURSE you should think about how something is going to look on the door of his law practice!

When was the last time you heard someone call someone else by their first name and middle initial?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:20 pm
I can't relate. I have a middle name that no one really uses. When people want to differentiate between me and someone else with the same first name, they use our last names. A middle name that is used will be used fully, and a middle name that isn't used may as well not even exist, for all practical purposes. I wouldn't even give it legally since it's just a pain. If someone chooses to use his middle initial it tends to be a very conscious, deliberate choice.

(Why would I get someone else's mail if they don't live at my address?)

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:22 pm
Edward G Robinson was a famous actor. I don't think he would have done as well as Edward Robinson.

It happens sometimes.

The kid will lie in bed mulling his name. Later he will practice writing it out, examining its charm and authority.

There must be nothing awkward about it at all.

mommyla

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:31 pm
So if someone's last name starts with a B, C, D, P, or other rhyming letter, they cannot name their kid anything ending in -ee? Nicknames included?

It's impossible to think about every teasing comment a child will get. The most normal, plain-vanilla, unrhyming names can be teased. Having a rhyming first name and middle initial is not weird at all.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:31 pm
With everything on computer now, mix-ups are very possible.

Initials shouldn't spell anything, even something innocuous.

Fortunately my old friend didn't mind being called Ribsy occasionally, but who needs it. Hers were RIB.

I wonder if she is on Imamother.

Hi Robin!

Dev80

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:37 pm
I wouldn't think twice about it, but that's my opinion. Like others said, how often does first name middle initial really come up? I'd think twice about initials of all the names (like who wants their initials to be BRA ya know?) but I really don't think its a big deal. If you like the name and combo go for it!

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:07 pm
I wouldn't worry about it. Few people introduce themselves as Tzvi Z. Weiss, you know? Usually you SEE the full name that way but seldom SAY it. And it's hardly weird, though it might lead to a nickname. Ray Jonathan Gold or Ray J. Gold might become RayJay. So what? You know how many Avram Jacobs and Jacob Josephs become AyJay and JayJay?

busydev

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:12 pm
I actually know a Tzvi Zev who goes by TzviZ (but said as one word) not made fun of for it tho... its the name everyone calls him.

but in general most ppl dont usually go by their first name and middle initial. mostly comes up on written notices more then anything else. if that. So I would not be concerned.

mandr

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 8:37 pm
mommyla wrote:
When was the last time you heard someone call someone else by their first name and middle initial?

We call my son that way for fun all the time. His legal name is FIRSTNAME INITIAL LASTNAME.

mandr

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 8:38 pm
zaq wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. Few people introduce themselves as Tzvi Z. Weiss, you know? Usually you SEE the full name that way but seldom SAY it. And it's hardly weird, though it might lead to a nickname. Ray Jonathan Gold or Ray J. Gold might become RayJay. So what? You know how many Avram Jacobs and Jacob Josephs become AyJay and JayJay?

Then he should never be called this way in Hebrew. I could just see the invitation reading, Ahuva V'Jayjay Confused

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 6:44 am
No one notices/does initials by me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names