Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Best children's cookbook for 6 year old

SivanMom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 11:13 am
Which Kosher cookbook would you recommend for a 6 year old, just starting to learn to read? My 6 year old loves to help out in the kitchen. She will be home from school for medical reasons for several months this year, and I would like to use it as an opportunity to cook with her and teach her some kitchen basics. I want the recipes to be easy enough for her to understand and be able to do, but I will be cooking everything with her, at least this year, so if I have to do a couple steps, that's fine. And I want to focus on food, more than baking, though of course we'll do some of that too. Thanks!

SivanMom

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 11:50 pm
bump

Kumphort

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 11:56 pm
Did u check out Susie fishbiens kids in the kitchen?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 11:57 pm
Kosher by Design Kids in the Kitchen. She writes step by step instructions in a really kid friendly way. All kitchen tools needed for recipe are listed separately too.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 12:07 am
It's not specifically Kosher, but Mollie Katzen's book Honest Pretzels is vegetarian so all the recipes are milchig or parve. Great cookbook for a kid!

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 11:24 am
I was also going to say the Mollie Katzen books. We have the preschool ones and also Honest Pretzels. They are all excellent. The preschool ones are better if you want her to read them herself, my 10 year olds still like them. One is Pretend Soup and the other is Salad People.

SivanMom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 2:43 pm
I have the Susie Fishbein's cookbook in my basket on Amazon, but it's a bit expensive so I wanted to hear that it's good first. Thanks! I'm also going to check out the Katzen books, I've never heard of her.

balibusta

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:44 pm
I would sell my kids in the kitchen cookbook for discounted rate great condition..pm if interested

balibusta

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:46 pm
actually I see kids in the kitchen on amazon from many sellers for very discounted rates starting from like $3.99 + 3.99 shipping...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:50 pm
I also saw the (second hand?) kosher by design kids cookbook on Barnes and Noble last night for like $3 or something last.

SivanMom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:56 pm
I was looking at the cheaper ones, but they're used. Which usually I have no problems with, and I've bought several Jewish books for great prices used on Amazon. But this will be part of a gift I'm giving her in the hospital after major surgery, along with kid sized kitchen utensils. I feel it should be shiny and new and fresh in a case like this.

balibusta

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 8:03 pm
I see your issue...yes the ones I saw were second hand..

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 8:23 pm
SivanMom wrote:
I was looking at the cheaper ones, but they're used. Which usually I have no problems with, and I've bought several Jewish books for great prices used on Amazon. But this will be part of a gift I'm giving her in the hospital after major surgery, along with kid sized kitchen utensils. I feel it should be shiny and new and fresh in a case like this.
Agreed.
This seems to be a good price for new.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kosher.....b2159

Razzle100

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 8:55 pm
The Mollie Katzen books, Pretend Soup and Honest Pretzels, get my vote as well. My kids loved using them when they were little.

The illustrations are friendly and the recipes are easy to follow. She even tells kids when it is the grown-ups turn to do a task (oven, knives, etc). Well worth a look.

KBD for kids is good too, even when they are teenagers!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children