Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What to expect? First visit to allergist

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:10 am
My six year old daughter has seasonal allergies. They run in DH's family. She only started having symptoms a couple of years ago, and the pediatrician recommended children's claritin. The claritin only helps somewhat, so DD is often miserable in the spring. Then summer comes and she feels fine again.

This year she began having allergy symptoms in the fall as well. DH was having issues as well, so we didn't think anything of it. Out came the claritin again. Then DD developed a cough and ended up on a nebulizer. It was not the first time that she's had a cough that led to wheezing and the need for a nebulizer.

This time the pediatrician said that DD may be pre-asthmatic and we should take her to an allergist to find out what her triggers are so we can prevent the issues from developing. We have an appointment scheduled for later this week.

Can some mothers with more experience in this area please tell me what to expect from the appointment? DD is like me - she likes to be prepared for things. She'll be fine with blood tests or whatever as long as she knows that they're coming and I promise her a treat afterwards. Also, do I need to bring anything to the appointment?

TIA for your help!

Amother to protect DD's privacy and so I don't out myself to family members who are aware of the situation.

2gether

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:40 am
what to expect?
first of all testing for allergys,but not for sensitivities,then:

1)drug diet;nebulizer,pills,etc.
2)if that doesn't keep it at bay, then allergy shots,which make your system immune to the trigger

I advise you to see an nutritionist/naturalist doc

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 12:01 pm
There are so many allergy meds on the market, I'm surprised you dr didn't suggest something else once the claritin wasn't so effective. Anyway, you will probably have allergy testing either via scratch tests or blood tests. And then depending on the results, a plan of care that includes oral and/or inhaled medication and/or shots and other suggestions for minimizing exposure.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:01 pm
OP here.

Thanks for your responses.

animeme

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:43 pm
Allergy skin testing is highly likely. Its usually a bunch of tiny pins (think TB tests) that lightly prick you, and/or a couple of small shots under the skin (like the other kind of TB test).

Call the allergist's office to find out what medications she can't take before the testing and for how long. My doc wants us off all antihistamines plus some stomach meds for three days, for example. Otherwise the results aren't reliable.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 8:46 pm
animeme wrote:
Allergy skin testing is highly likely. Its usually a bunch of tiny pins (think TB tests) that lightly prick you, and/or a couple of small shots under the skin (like the other kind of TB test).

Call the allergist's office to find out what medications she can't take before the testing and for how long. My doc wants us off all antihistamines plus some stomach meds for three days, for example. Otherwise the results aren't reliable.

This!!! I didn't know that and traveled an hour each way and waited in the waiting room to be told I need to come back because we were on claritan for seasonal allergies - I was so upset!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 10:38 pm
OP here.

Thanks for the warning. We actually stopped all meds as of yesterday, so we should be OK on that front.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 9:36 am
OP here with an update.

The visit went well. The doctor was great with DD. She had scratch tests rather than blood tests. It turns out she's allergic to dust, cats and dogs, and highly allergic to oak and other tree pollens. DD was very upset to hear about the cat/dog allergy because she looooves animals. The doctor reassured her that she can still go near animals as long as they don't make her sick.

Interestingly enough, her allergy to birch explains why she's been complaining lately that apples make her throat itch. It seems that there's a correlation between people who have a contact allergy to certain fruits and those who are allergic to birch tree pollen. Now we know DD can't eat raw apples, but luckily cooked or baked apples are not a problem. And we have to keep an eye out for other fruits that may start bothering her as well.

The doctor also tested DD's breathing and said that she is not asthmatic at this time. We're supposed to come back next time she develops a wheeze so she can get retested. In the meantime, we're supposed to be vigilant and get DD on a nebulizer anytime she has a cold. We're going back for a follow up visit in early March to discuss the best way to get DD through the spring with minimal misery.

If anyone has similar experiences, please share. This world of allergies is all new to me and I'd like to do my best for DD. We're lucky in that her allergies are not life-threatening or even life-altering for the most part, but I find it worrisome that they affect her breathing.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 1:49 pm
I have an apple allergy (most raw fruits bother me actually...) and I'm pretty sure apples and pears are in the same 'family' so just be aware of that and watch her if she's eating that (but if the allergist didn't say anything then maybe it's fine)

Allergies can also evolve over time and things that your allergic too can also go away (I've gained new allergies and things that bothered me stopped bothering me... although I have to say more have been added than taken away). I also have asthma but bH it doesn't really affect my daily life now that I'm not as active (I do plenty of walking but I'm not really playing machanayim and basketball as I was in school!)

Your daughter will live a really normal life iyH! And it's good your being proactive. In recent years I've had bad flare ups and there are a lot of meds out there to take (I've even been on steroids for a bad case) so don't feel like she has to live in terror and fear b/c bH at least in my experience the meds have been good.

Tech_mom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 1:54 pm
You sounded really positive about the Dr.
Can I inquire who she is? Where is she located?

(I have to bring my 19 month old to an allergist. she blows up and starts sneezing if she accidentally is given even small amounts of egg or milk).

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:38 pm
I'm not sure to what extent you're dealing with wheezing/asthma related stuff- but I found that with a bit of nebulizer trial and error related to how much/how often/ for how long, we were able to significantly minimize that aspect by being extremely proactive at the first signs of a cold. Once full blown symptoms developed it was much harder to eliminate, and we got into some endless cycles. You have to be very tuned in to your child and get a feel for how her body works.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 5:14 pm
Tech_mom wrote:
You sounded really positive about the Dr.
Can I inquire who she is? Where is she located?

(I have to bring my 19 month old to an allergist. she blows up and starts sneezing if she accidentally is given even small amounts of egg or milk).

Dr. Mark Sicklick in Cedarhurst. He's great with kids (has a bunch of grandchildren already).
516-569-5550
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics