Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Pilot trip and other questions/ looking in to cincinatti

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:34 am
we are considering moving to Cincinnati. Since we live in NJ it's a short plane rind or loooong car ride. Since we have a baby I don't feel so comfortable keeping her in her car seat for so long so we will probably fly. I also am not the biggest fan of long car rides myself.... We don't have miles so it will probably be over $1,000 to fly Sad

Does anyone have any experience with traveling with an exclusively nursing baby.

I was wondering how long people go for a pilot trip to another community in America. Do you go just for a weekend or longer?

Where do you stay- find a hotel or ask for hospitality?

If you live in cincinatti would you feel more comfortable posting about your community anonymously on a thread or pming someone privately? So far Hashem Yaazor has been a wellspring of information but I would like to hear other people's opinions also. If I see that people would prefer to pm then I will out my screen name.

In general are there any specific questions we should be asking?

Thank you!

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:36 am
You should put Cincinnati in your title so that you'll get responses from people there.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:39 am
ok I changed it. I didn't put it in at first because really I also just want general advice about looking in to another community and taking a pilot trip to someplace that I will be flying to. I'm sure other people have experience with that even if they went to Houston or Atlanta for example in stead of Cincinnati.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
we are considering moving to Cincinnati. Since we live in NJ it's a short plane rind or loooong car ride. Since we have a baby I don't feel so comfortable keeping her in her car seat for so long so we will probably fly. I also am not the biggest fan of long car rides myself.... We don't have miles so it will probably be over $1,000 to fly Sad

Does anyone have any experience with traveling with an exclusively nursing baby.

I was wondering how long people go for a pilot trip to another community in America. Do you go just for a weekend or longer?

Where do you stay- find a hotel or ask for hospitality?

If you live in cincinatti would you feel more comfortable posting about your community anonymously on a thread or pming someone privately? So far Hashem Yaazor has been a wellspring of information but I would like to hear other people's opinions also. If I see that people would prefer to pm then I will out my screen name.

In general are there any specific questions we should be asking?

Thank you!

We've flown international with nursing babies, and when they were very young... once with a 4 week old and I wasn't so experienced yet.. A little domestic flight shouldn't be too difficult... Take your nursing cover and nurse on the plane.. if that makes you uncomfortable, bring expressed milk (they should let you take it, but I haven't flown domestic in the US in years so double check first)..

we went for job interviews (for community shuls) and stayed for a shabbat with home hospitality...

I think a weekend should be enough time, unless you are setting up job interviews in different places ...

You can ask if there are hotels near the frum area (there often are not) -- and decide if you would be more comfortable staying in a hotel (if you can afford it)..

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 1:26 pm
bump?
anyone?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 4:52 pm
Totally missed this before, sorry -- I do owe you 2 PMs, I've been formulating thoughts on the older one, and the newer one just came in today Smile

Most people fly into the Dayton Airport which is about 45 minutes/1 hour away and much cheaper than the Cincinnati airport usually (which is still a 20/25 minute drive, as it's located in Northern Kentucky, actually) -- spirit airlines, airtran/southwest are good airlines....it should not cost that much at all. My husband flew from there to Baltimore on only a 2 week notice for under $250 roundtrip.

You should definitely stay within the community, as that's how you'll get a real feel. I would say I'm happy to host, but I would first need to hear when you're coming to make sure we're in town that weekend and just double check with my husband Smile

Not sure how long it is from NJ, but probably 10 hours give or take? We did 8 hour trips frequently enough and frequently with exclusive nursing babies. With 1 kid, we flew, but with 2 it was just worth it to drive to have our car seats, etc. Up to you.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 5:59 pm
HY- so my husband actually agrees with you- he thinks flying will be a lot more stressful. Its me that's nervous about the long car ride. He drove to toronto and back fort a shiva call while I think an hr or two is a long car ride- can you tell I grew in New York up without a car Smile ?
I think you're right about it being 10 hrs.

how do long car rides work with little babies- how often do you stop, - I've heard its not good to keep babies in car seats for so long? any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 6:28 pm
Everyone should get out every two hours to stretch. If the baby is sleeping you don't have to wake him for that.

I personally find that driving with kids long distances is more challenging than flying. But that's just my preference.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 6:33 pm
How old is your baby? For babies over 6 months, we generally do every 3 hours (e.g. nurse, go in the car, drive 3 hours for a nice rest stop and nurse, drive 3 hours and get gas and nurse and daven if need be, then for us we were there 2 hours later)....another option is to break it up half way and stay overnight in a hotel so it's less overwhelming. Bring a bottle of pumped milk in the car if baby will take for screaming when you can't stop right then. Sit in the back so you can help.

2 hours is really better for younger babies so they're not in the car seat that long, and better for everyone, but it just drags out the trip past being practical, IMHO.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 6:31 am
MBV- do you have to drive to and from the airport and carry car seats.....? it's the fact that we will have to drive anyway on both ends that makes my husband think driving might be easier. It will probably end up being at least 5 hours if we fly. When you say long drives do you mean like 10 hrs or more than that?

HY- the baby is under 6 months now but may be we will just wait until she's a little older- still reasonable time frame to check out the community. Got your pm thank you so much it was very helpful in clarifying stuff for us!

what age can a kid switch from car seat to booster seat? My older DD is still in a car seat so there isn't really room for me in the back Smile but I think we can probably switch her to a booster. Thoughts?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 7:22 am
I wouldn't put her in a booster, especially on a long drive where she will want to sleep -- she also will be a lot more comfortable in a car seat. I know what you mean about being squished, but I found that me sitting on the side, with baby in the middle, and older kid on the other side gave me more space when we had a 5 seater car.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
MBV- do you have to drive to and from the airport and carry car seats.....? it's the fact that we will have to drive anyway on both ends that makes my husband think driving might be easier. It will probably end up being at least 5 hours if we fly. When you say long drives do you mean like 10 hrs or more than that?

HY- the baby is under 6 months now but may be we will just wait until she's a little older- still reasonable time frame to check out the community. Got your pm thank you so much it was very helpful in clarifying stuff for us!

what age can a kid switch from car seat to booster seat? My older DD is still in a car seat so there isn't really room for me in the back Smile but I think we can probably switch her to a booster. Thoughts?

I mean even a five hr drive, unless you're driving at night and the kids will sleep. My kids just don't do well at all being strapped in for hours on end. They have limited interest in movies or iPad games and want to be active. Flying is difficult but the airport is exciting for them and during the flight they can move around. Especially for infants, since mine always hated being in the car.

Of course we drive to and from the airport and bring car seats but somehow it's more manageable for us. The whole trip is broken up into stages.

If I knew my kids would sleep I would do a night trip in a heartbeat though Smile

For a long ride I would definitely keep the older one harnessed. She will be much more comfortable and it's probably too much to expect her to sit up without leaning over and playing with the belt for hours on end. In general kids are booster ready sometimes after age five, but again, for a long ride it's probably not the best option for many kids.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 9:32 am
we drive usually twice a year to Cincinnati for Yom Tov. My kids are used to the long trip and I make them comfy with pillows and snacks and DVDs. One baby of mine hated it till she was about 1.5 but we go thru the night and just manage. Recently with stops it takes about 10-11 hours because we like to stop at rest areas and run around and eat. Its a nice drive with very nice rest areas with restaurants and starbucks and room to run around.

sky

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 9:37 am
We do 8 1/2 hour trip (each way) about twice a year. .
Stopping about every 3 hours for bathroom breaks to get everyone out of the car.

DVDs have made the trip much easier (especially because it is the only time my kids watch anything.

I bring lots of snacks. sometimes hit the dollar store for some small things for the car. We try to do part of the drive after bedtime so that some kids can fall asleep.

I've found carseats much more comfortable for sleeping then booster seats. Its easier to rest the head.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 12:47 pm
Regarding pilot trip:

I just did one from one city in US to possibility of two cities in another state. We stayed in a hotel during the week as we wanted privacy. For shabbos, we stayed in peoples homes to get a feeling of the community.
We went to different schools and took tours, checked classes, hashkafa etc.

We sat with a realtor to get a good idea of what the market is like. We also sat with a few people and discussed all the ins and out of actually living in new places. We tried to investigate all the nuances, both positive and negative so we'll make an informed decision.

I personally prefer driving for a trip that's in 10 hour range as by the time you come and go from airports it's not much different. we're also more in control unless you go in middle of winter snowstorm than either way would be hard to travel.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 12:53 pm
That's so funny! I was thinking of posting a similar thread- we are looking into Cincinnati as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating