Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Latest time at night it is appropriate to call your Rabbi

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 6:41 pm
Until what time at night do you think that it is appropriate to call your Rabbi or Rebbetzin at home? Do you think 10pm would be ok?

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 6:43 pm
I don't think there's a clear answer to this question. It will depend a lot on the personality of your individual Rav/Rebbitzen, and your personal relationship with them. Instead of asking on imamother, I'd suggest you ask other people in your shul what they think would be reasonable for your particular Rav.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 6:59 pm
I call mine around 10. It's the best time to reach him, but it really depends. Usually you can call during the day and ask whoever picks up what time is best.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 7:02 pm
Please don't call late. I'm sure he or she will be polite and friendly but Rabbis/Rebbetzins have personal lives too.

Unless it is an emergency of course.

I try not to call people after 9:30pm

agreer

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 8:39 pm
I never call anyone after 10!

If you are afraid you won't reach him, call before ten and ask what time the Rav will be available. Ask how late you can call.

strawberry cola

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 8:49 pm
Here's an idea that might help you:
When I have a question for a Rav and it's late at night ( I would say after 10:15 or so, dont call, unless ypou know it's okay) I call a Rav on the opposite coast, which has a three-hour time differential, or in Eretz Yisrael, where it's already morning.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 8:50 pm
Your Rav is a person like any other person and the rules of etiquette that apply to anyone apply to him, too. You can't call him later just because he serves the community. If you have his office number, you can presumably call any time because if he's gone, he's gone. But if you're calling his home or cell, try to call before 9 if at all possible. Many people say 10 but IMHO that's too late to initiate a call unless the person has told you otherwise. Do as agreer suggests: call much earlier, ask when is the best time to call and what's the latest you may call, and then stick to those guidelines.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 8:56 pm
zaq wrote:
Your Rav is a person like any other person and the rules of etiquette that apply to anyone apply to him, too. You can't call him later just because he serves the community. If you have his office number, you can presumably call any time because if he's gone, he's gone. But if you're calling his home or cell, try to call before 9 if at all possible. Many people say 10 but IMHO that's too late to initiate a call unless the person has told you otherwise. Do as agreer suggests: call much earlier, ask when is the best time to call and what's the latest you may call, and then stick to those guidelines.

I disagree. There are plenty of time sensitive questions you might need to ask your Rabbi.

If it's not a time sensitive question and it's too late to call my Rabbi, I email him.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 9:03 pm
My rav said the best time to call him is from 11-12:30am. So that is when I call. But I never would have called that time without his permission.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 11:56 pm
Raisin wrote:
Please don't call late. I'm sure he or she will be polite and friendly but Rabbis/Rebbetzins have personal lives too.

Unless it is an emergency of course.

I try not to call people after 9:30pm

hahaha. off topic, but all my kids teachers call me at 10:00. I would never dream of calling someone that late! It's totally not normal!

monseychick

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 12:16 am
strawberry cola wrote:
Here's an idea that might help you:
When I have a question for a Rav and it's late at night ( I would say after 10:15 or so, dont call, unless ypou know it's okay) I call a Rav on the opposite coast, which has a three-hour time differential, or in Eretz Yisrael, where it's already morning.

Very often I call the London Bais HaRoeh , or my husband's friend's father in London at 3am NY time

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 12:19 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I disagree. There are plenty of time sensitive questions you might need to ask your Rabbi.

If it's not a time sensitive question and it's too late to call my Rabbi, I email him.

Well yeah, for emergencies. For non emergencies it's just disrespectful. I also like email, which really gives the other party the opportunity to respond at his convenience.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 3:10 am
Depends on the rav and also, what the culture is where you live. Here in EY, it's very, very normal for people to call you late at nigh. Our rav often calls my husband around 11:30 (but hangs up after 1 ring just in case).

m in Israel

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 3:45 am
amother wrote:
Depends on the rav and also, what the culture is where you live. Here in EY, it's very, very normal for people to call you late at nigh. Our rav often calls my husband around 11:30 (but hangs up after 1 ring just in case).

This is so true. My husband and I cannot get over how we get automated calls (like from tzedakka organizations or announcing some sort of speech, etc.) after 10:00 at night! In the U.S. I cannot imagine any organization doing such a thing. . .

amother

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 7:30 am
Our rav has call in hours from 10:45-11:15. The line is often busy for that entire half hour so I will sometimes hit redial again and again. He's great but not easy to reach!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 7:34 am
Rabbis also have wives and kids, iyh. Just saying. BH my husband didn't end up becoming a rabbi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics