Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary post.... It's that time of year.

momesq

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:06 pm
Ok it's time to narrow down the field. My DD options are Meor, Ateres, & Darchai bina. Please help.

mommy1108

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:08 pm
All so different. It really depends on what kind of girl she is and how she wants to come out of seminary. Is she coming from a Bais Yaakov? If so, darchei bina is really off the beaten path

joy613

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:10 pm
tell us about your daughter. What she's like, what kind of school she's coming from, etc.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 12:08 pm
momesq wrote:
Ok it's time to narrow down the field. My DD options are Meor, Ateres, & Darchai bina. Please help.

How many are you planning to apply to? Most people apply to at least 2, and then see if and where they get accepted into. Are your principals helpful?

amother

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 9:52 am
Does anyone have information on Levavi? What are the teachers like? Is the staff warm and caring? Will a quiet, well behaved girl get lost in the crowd and ignored? Do they place the girls for shabbos/yom tov or are the girls on their own to find a place? How academic is it? Do they go on a lot of tiyulim? How is the food? What is the dorm like? Does the dorm have heat/air conditioning? How many girls to a room? How many girls in the seminary? What is the school hashkafa? Do they teach that the girl is the wife/mother/breadwinner and the husband should sit and learn or do they teach that the husband should be kovaya itim and also work? What kind of cell phone do they allow? Do they have computer access for uploading pictures to snapfish and for sending emails?

Anonymous because we are not sure if this is where our dd will apply to and we are in a small city where people know that we are considering it.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 31 2014, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone have information on Levavi? What are the teachers like? Is the staff warm and caring? Will a quiet, well behaved girl get lost in the crowd and ignored? Do they place the girls for shabbos/yom tov or are the girls on their own to find a place? How academic is it? Do they go on a lot of tiyulim? How is the food? What is the dorm like? Does the dorm have heat/air conditioning? How many girls to a room? How many girls in the seminary? What is the school hashkafa? Do they teach that the girl is the wife/mother/breadwinner and the husband should sit and learn or do they teach that the husband should be kovaya itim and also work? What kind of cell phone do they allow? Do they have computer access for uploading pictures to snapfish and for sending emails?

Anonymous because we are not sure if this is where our dd will apply to and we are in a small city where people know that we are considering it.

My sister was a madricha at Levavi last year... I'll ask her and try to remember to get back to this thread.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 10:20 pm
What's Hadar like?
My daughter's princepal recommending it.
I want a mixed BY crowd. Not totally yeshivish.

doctorima

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 10:41 pm
Hadar = totally yeshivish, not mixed BY

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 11:36 pm
OP here. My daughter is a BY girl and very smart but nit into studying. She loves talking, analyzing, questioning. She doesn't want to have her nose in the books all day. Teachers need to be approachable and into talking and analyzing. She's not in with the fancy jappy crowd and and would rather wear comfortable clothing than dressing up. From what I heard darchi bina is five growth oriented people and BY girls go there too (not the majority though). So I think Meor is probably best but I'm not sure shell get in. That school is very popular. Ateres sound nice but may be a little too out of towny. And then there's darchei bina which my daughter is into but I'm nervous about it. And anyone hear on Chemdas? She's mentioned that

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 11:42 pm
Darchei bina doesn't sound like it's the right type. It's really not BYish at all,although yeah there might be a few girls like that but it's not the general atmosphere. But it is a great school.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2014, 11:55 pm
I wentered to DB a long time ago. Definitely had BY girls and really awesome non BY girls. I didn't have at all a hard time because I'm smart and academic, but it IS known to be an academic seminary.

It's great that we had choices in what classes to take. Also I don't remember a lot of busy work. We had things like weekly ramban tests that we either prepped on our own or some girls went to an optional class for help. We had "nach yomi" with a chavrusa everyday, we learned halacha with a lot more depth that most BY places. Plenty of discussion and hashkafa classes also. Really.

Teachers are very appeoachable, definitely can meet with them in school, go for shabbos, plenty of girks were close to them. I had a great time. I came from an out if town BY, but DB's hashkafa was still a breath of fresh air (in a good way.)

I found some girls were Jappy but most were so normal and down to earth and plenty of out of towners.

Afterwards I went to Stern. That was always the plan. Officially DB isn't so into it but plenty of girls still went. Girls also went to Touro, some did Thomas Edison type things, that place in Chicago, Brroklyn or Queens college and even a few Ivy type schools. I think I've heard it's gotten more yeshivish since I was there over a decade ago but not sure.

slushiemom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
I wentered to DB a long time ago. Definitely had BY girls and really awesome non BY girls. I didn't have at all a hard time because I'm smart and academic, but it IS known to be an academic seminary.

It's great that we had choices in what classes to take. Also I don't remember a lot of busy work. We had things like weekly ramban tests that we either prepped on our own or some girls went to an optional class for help. We had "nach yomi" with a chavrusa everyday, we learned halacha with a lot more depth that most BY places. Plenty of discussion and hashkafa classes also. Really.

Teachers are very appeoachable, definitely can meet with them in school, go for shabbos, plenty of girks were close to them. I had a great time. I came from an out if town BY, but DB's hashkafa was still a breath of fresh air (in a good way.)

I found some girls were Jappy but most were so normal and down to earth and plenty of out of towners.

Afterwards I went to Stern. That was always the plan. Officially DB isn't so into it but plenty of girls still went. Girls also went to Touro, some did Thomas Edison type things, that place in Chicago, Brroklyn or Queens college and even a few Ivy type schools. I think I've heard it's gotten more yeshivish since I was there over a decade ago but not sure.

I totally disagree with the bolded. I went there about 10 years ago, and the focus for me was totally the social and Israel experience over the learning. I did the minimum required hours for classes, which came out to 24 hours a week. That's not a lot at all, I had plenty of time for socializing and napping every single day.

In terms of the BY thing- like others said it was a great group of girls mostly from non-BY schools but with some BY girls as well. From my perspective it was TOO chareidi, and I felt like they totally misrepresented themselves to my class in HS. They have only chareidi teachers, with a clear agenda to make the girls chareidi. Some took to it, some stayed how they were and some were totally turned off.

Aetrsnrady

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:28 am
Meohr sounds perfect for her. I think you should apply to all 3. Meohr 1st choice, Ateres 2nd choice, DB 3rd choice.
Edited because I originally mentioned seminar as a possibility, but I think it might be too yeshivish for OP's DD

buster

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:44 am
If you want a more BY place, I'd recommend Tiferes. It's a school that values a trust with the girls that they do not take advantage of. Very homey atmosphere, with bubbly, chilled, BY girls. Their emphasis is not grades but the overall experience. Very warm staff, happy, healthy group of girls...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 9:31 am
We are applying to all 3 and that's exactly our rankings. I think seminar is a bit too frum. I never heard of tiferes.

cbw

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 3:59 pm
we are considering those schools too. our daughters sound similar... did you hear of machon raaya?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 5:36 pm
Mechon raaya is very text based and for high academic type. Very bookish.

mosma

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:57 pm
slushiemom wrote:
I totally disagree with the bolded. I went there about 10 years ago, and the focus for me was totally the social and Israel experience over the learning. I did the minimum required hours for classes, which came out to 24 hours a week. That's not a lot at all, I had plenty of time for socializing and napping every single day.

In terms of the BY thing- like others said it was a great group of girls mostly from non-BY schools but with some BY girls as well. From my perspective it was TOO chareidi, and I felt like they totally misrepresented themselves to my class in HS. They have only chareidi teachers, with a clear agenda to make the girls chareidi. Some took to it, some stayed how they were and some were totally turned off.

I have to agree with slushiemom here. I was in DB a little over 10 years ago (wow) and I had the exact same experience, including the misrepresentation. I went because I felt I needed a break from the BAIS YAAKOV atmosphere (in caps because I mean the box you need to fit in, not frumkeit) and I found it mostly filled with BY girls, or girls who were aiming to become BY girls (and were by chanuka time.) The teachers were mostly wonderful, and I had a good time, but it was definitely more bais Yaakov-y than people think it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics