Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Ikea "Billy" bookcases hold up well for seforim?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 9:12 pm
Another vote in favor of Ikea bookcases for seforim. I got a quote from one of the Brooklyn places for $7000 for what I needed. I got great equivalents at Ikea for a total of $1500. The expensive ones were obviously all wood with all kinds of fancy detailing, but I realized I could theoretically replace the whole Ikea set four times and still come out ahead.

So far, that hasn't been necessary -- we've had them almost ten years (without moving) and they still look great.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 9:36 pm
we have four second hand billys (which are about 25 years old) and added two new ones (which are about five years old). I find the older ones MUCH better quality, no need to reinforce the shelves, the back is actually wood, whereas the newer billys have a thin back part... BUT in general they hold sforim and other books very well. obviously you cant compare them to real wood carpentered cases, but they look nice and absolutly fulfill their purpose. we reinforced some shelves (where the heavier books are) and anchored each bookcase. We saved sooo much money by doing this. I can totally recommend it.

dGirl

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 9:11 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I didn't think Billy comes deeper in US IKEA stores, but Kallax does, if you want that look. Or there's Hemnes, as I've said. I'd be very interested to hear whether there's a deeper version of Billy outside of the U.S.

The Ikea Besta line is essentially a deeper Billy. I'm a huge fan. I've used Besta for seforim, as an early china cabinet before owning an actual one, and is a pantry. I've had absolutely no issues with the weight of seforim. However in my Besta turned pantry I had a shelf give way under the extreme weight of cannedd goods where the weight bearing pegs on the side of the shelf couldn't hold up (my mistake!). That said, after six+ years of ownership, I just added two more Besta units to my collection. For the price and flexibility of the unit configurations you can't do better.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics