Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby with cold, cough, fever - what to do

newmommy:)

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 3:39 pm
for the past ~week my baby (10 mos) has had a terrible cold. it wakes her up at night and makes her miserable. anything I can do besides tylenol?

abaker

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 4:14 pm
Same here! Has had a cough for about two weeks now which wakes him up at night. We've been to doctor but we're just waiting it out. During the day he has no cough at all. Have you gone to the doctor?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 4:30 pm
abaker wrote:
Same here! Has had a cough for about two weeks now which wakes him up at night. We've been to doctor but we're just waiting it out. During the day he has no cough at all. Have you gone to the doctor?
if he only has the cough when lying down, prop up his mattress a bit. we did that with our daughter's vrib mattress, put a pillow under it. that helped a bit. and we puy a humidifier on all night as well.

abaker

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 4:38 pm
Will give it a try, thanks Shabbatiscoming. The humidifier gets the floor soaking wet since we replaced the carpets with hardwood floors...we put towels down but I am a bit hesitant to use humidifier every night. Sounds silly...but it's really annoying! I am wondering if a different model would also soak the floor?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 4:42 pm
abaker wrote:
Will give it a try, thanks Shabbatiscoming. The humidifier gets the floor soaking wet since we replaced the carpets with hardwood floors...we put towels down but I am a bit hesitant to use humidifier every night. Sounds silly...but it's really annoying! I am wondering if a different model would also soak the floor?
It should not be soaking up the floor. Its either on too high or its broken. It should just be making the room a bit moist, but not soaking the floors. My daughter lives through the winter with the humidifier on almost every single night. otherwise she gets pneumonia.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 4:44 pm
Turn down the humidifier settings to a level where the vapors are going up and don't look like they are falling to the ground.

Dev80

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 4:45 pm
not sure how old your baby is but my dr usually prescribes a medicine to dry out the cough.

abaker

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 5:06 pm
I can look into getting a better humidifier...come to think of it, it never use to soak the carpet.

He is almost 1...too little for cough medicine. And we decided to not giving an antibiotic since he is behaving as he usually does and eating well BH.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 5:29 pm
take the baby into the bathroom while running a hot shower so it clears his congestion

Bruria

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 1:53 am
Take your baby to the doctor, specially if this is going on for a week already. Or at least give him/her a call and ask.

chani8

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 5:14 am
There are herbs and drops to lower mucous. There is mucolit here in Israel, for babies, which lessens the mucous. The goal here, is to get that mucous under control. Thin it, dry it. So, stop all dairy, for sure, for now. Echinasea and Elderberry are good. Maybe nettle, too. I can't recall. Do a google search for herbs for your baby's symptoms, and then go make him some tea or buy drops.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics