Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Child Possibly Pretending to be Sick
Previous  1  2

ruthla

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 10:41 am
Psychosomatic pain is REAL. I used to get stress headaches all the time as a child. They were caused by emotional issues, but I wasn't "faking" anything. My head really did hurt!

It's very possible that your child is experiencing something similar.

amother

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:47 pm
I would give him alot of hugs and kissed and extra attention and listen to his fears without saying your opinion

winter_rose

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 2:50 pm
Could be pleuresy. If it happens again ask him to bReathe and see if he says it hurts more when he breathes in. Never give a child the symptoms your looking for (that is, aay, "breathe in and out, how does it feel when you breathe in? How does it feel when you breathe out?" Rather than "does it hurt when you breathe?")

Or could be hypochondria.

I know ever since I was in an accident my son has been afraid I was going to die. He also saw me complaining of bad pain and inability to walk while pregnant and my husband took care of me and paid a lot of attention to me. With the baby I've noticed he's been craving attention and mimicking my symptoms. "I can barely walk" he'll say for example when clearly he can.

rising hero

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 2:59 pm
winter_rose wrote:
Could be pleuresy. If it happens again ask him to bReathe and see if he says it hurts more when he breathes in. Never give a child the symptoms your looking for (that is, aay, "breathe in and out, how does it feel when you breathe in? How does it feel when you breathe out?" Rather than "does it hurt when you breathe?")

Or could be hypochondria.

I know ever since I was in an accident my son has been afraid I was going to die. He also saw me complaining of bad pain and inability to walk while pregnant and my husband took care of me and paid a lot of attention to me. With the baby I've noticed he's been craving attention and mimicking my symptoms. "I can barely walk" he'll say for example when clearly he can.

This thread is from 2009 but this info might be helpful to someone, nevertheless.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children