Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Childrens' Coats
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:46 am
seeker wrote:
I ordered a down coat from Land's End for DD this year but it seemed sooo thin that I can't imagine it could be that warm even with down. Seemed a little strange. I could be wrong. I returned it anyway because it was much too big; I'd forgotten Land's End tends to run large.

I know, I got the squall coats for boys last year end of season at sears and they are warm (not down).
I got for my daughter a down coat and it is super, super thin (I paid $25, but the original price was $99) and they claim it is warm to -5. But I also have a super thin lands end coat that feels like hers and it keeps me really warm, so I'm guessing the way they pack the feathers keeps warm. I'll really see once she starts wearing it. The length is pretty good, it hits her mid thigh.

SacN

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:51 am
Another vote for landsend.
They have coupons and sales often enough that the prices are always good (or wait a week and they will be).

I grew up somewhere where it was below 0 all winter, and we always had landsend coats--and not even their warmest ones.
Now my whole family has them, adults and kids.

The only downside is that they are not really built for really slim women, so even the xs is big on me. I don't care that much--my raincoat has a big hood and covers my tush and my down coat keeps me very toasty. Down coats are never that slimming anyway…

We like that they come in Tall sizes also, as my DH is slim, but has long arms.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 12:46 pm
Sky, how did you get the Land's End coat for $25?! I'm reconsidering trying a smaller size (though the 5 was SOOOO big I can't imagine the 4 will be that much better, but maybe I can roll up the sleeves for one year...) because our current coat while it is nice and warm (an inherited Gap down jacket) exposes her bellybutton whenever she lifts her arms. I honestly don't understand how people stay warm; it seems that 90% of coats sold anywhere are that short and many stores don't have anything longer. Every time I see a small child with a long coat I'm tempted to read their label (of course I wouldn't. I just never happen to see them with parents attached to ask. I'm so curious what everyone else is wearing! They can't possibly all be paying $90 for the longer Gap coats?)

sky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 12:53 pm
End of season (I think Feb, March time), at sears, with a coupon. It goes lower then it does online, although I have found Not Quite Perfect coats onlinie for also very cheap.
Sears is great end of season for finding cheap coats, sweatshirts, raincoats, etc. (but I hear they are closing).
I think Lots of people bough the Gap coat when there was a 40% off coupon this year.
Lots of Lands End stuff you can find very cheap. I get briefcases there for around $30 that are very solid.

Lands end has the Expedition coat (??) that is about $160 - it is an amazing Down coat. I've seen it and it looks so warm. but I can't bring myself to spend that much, even when marked down.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains