Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Nightly private time - need ideas

LO

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 2:44 pm
Hi all,
I am taking Dina Friedman's class and am trying to implement the nightly 10-15 min of private time that she talks about. I need ideas for what we can do with our 8 yr old twin girls. What games can you play in such a short time, what other ongoing projects can you do? They enjoyed working on our photo book with me, but now it's finished....would love to hear what other people are doing! Thanks in advance!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 3:07 pm
Listen to what they want. Some like to sit quietly, some a game, some DMC's, some projects, some tehillim... Do it separately and personally catered.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 3:25 pm
Anything that is mutually enjoyable for you and the child and focused on the child.

LO

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 7:06 pm
All they want is to watch music videos, which I don't think should count. They do not have other requests, which is why I am looking for creative ideas.....

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 7:35 pm
My special time is typically incorporated into the actual bedtime.

As in: shema and chatting about what happened that day.

SOme kids like to take turns with me chatting about the day.
Some kids I need to ask questions: who'd you sit next to on the bus/what was for lunch/what did you play at recess.
Some kids start from :I woke up in the morning...got dressed...etc.

In terms of quick games, we love: sequence for kids/ doodle dice/ monopoly deal (not millionaire)/ connect four/ guess who

Hatzlocha navigating it:)

asmileaday

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 10:23 pm
An excellent and quick game is Simon Flash. 4 lighted cubes that you can play 4 different games with. My kids love it and I do too cuz it's quick!

LO

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:30 am
Thanks everyone! Anyone have suggestions besides games or talking? Like May be an easy craft project that is easy to do in small increments? My kids love crafts but we don't do too many now because baby gets in the way. Any other ideas also welcome, as I am very not creative! ☺️ Thanks again!

LO

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:30 am
Oh and thanks for the Simon flash suggestion, it looks great!!!!

proudmother1

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:40 am
It's not always about doing something.
Sometimes it's best to just be there. When a child feels that you are just there, and not pre-occupied with anything, they open up to you in unexpected ways.
Sometimes its just a question that propels you out of your seat.

SivanMom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:41 am
Although I vary based in what he wants to do, my most successful activity with my 8 year old son is coloring. I have the large melissa and doug coloring pages, I break out a new pack of Crayons, and each of us color our own page. He thinks I'm an artist. I love it because we are doing something but we are schmoozing the whole time. Without him even realizing I've learned a lot about his day this way. (and well, it turns out, I still like to color shock)

asmileaday

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:03 am
proudmother1 wrote:
It's not always about doing something.
Sometimes it's best to just be there. When a child feels that you are just there, and not pre-occupied with anything, they open up to you in unexpected ways.
Sometimes its just a question that propels you out of your seat.

I find that my kids came to expect that private/fun time is playing a game or reading a book. They'd be disappointed if we just talk and feel like they didn't get their fun time. I wish I can reverse that but don't see how.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:11 am
LO wrote:
Hi all,
I am taking Dina Friedman's class and am trying to implement the nightly 10-15 min of private time that she talks about. I need ideas for what we can do with our 8 yr old twin girls. What games can you play in such a short time, what other ongoing projects can you do? They enjoyed working on our photo book with me, but now it's finished....would love to hear what other people are doing! Thanks in advance!

Do you know how to knit or crochet? Teach them.

Work on a jigsaw puzzle. Leave it someplace you can do a bit at a time.

Take a walk around the neighborhood.

LO

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:20 am
Yeah, my kids also feel like they lost out if we only talk, which I also do not love but don't know how to change.

I like the knitting idea and coloring..... Both great ways to talk without them realizing they are talking! 😉

HappytoHS

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:58 am
Read a chapter book in installments, which will have them anticipating the next time. You are never too old to be read to.
Origami
Beading: small beaded jewelry or key ring projects
Large, time consuming puzzles that you work on in increments (set a timer if you need to)
Most games intended for that age can be played in under 15 minutes.

granolamom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:52 pm
ooh I like the puzzle idea.
mostly we read or play quick games like monopoly deal, mille bornes, blokus, connect 4, etc. sometimes we color (I have cool geometric coloring books and 'special' markers for bedtime fun). knitting is a great idea too.

proudmother1

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:38 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I find that my kids came to expect that private/fun time is playing a game or reading a book. They'd be disappointed if we just talk and feel like they didn't get their fun time. I wish I can reverse that but don't see how.

Usually children read the vibes off of parents well. They are like little xray machines.
If you really mean it, they will know it.

How about you present as such.

Today is going to be extra special. Avramy/Mommy time. We are going to sit in the living room/car/kitchen....all by ourselves with no one to distract us. Because I love to hear about your school/friends/stories etc. and I don't get to do that often. I'd rather not get distracted by any games or projects today. I miss your stories so much, I can't wait to hear them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children