Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Don't Judge Hasidic Seat-Switchers by Tova Ross
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

tulips12

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:27 pm
I just wanted to add that sometimes it is not so much about being uncomfortable about sitting next to a stranger but more that some men and women are makpid not to come into contact and touch an unrelated person of the opposite gender I f it can be avoided. Making a scene is never the right thing to do though. Incidentally most of the rude and hilarious incidents I know of were women bothering women and men annoying men.

Last edited by tulips12 on Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

MommyZ

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:31 pm
Barbara wrote:
That only works if Charedim are willing to take only that flight.

But I'm guessing that Charedim go all sorts of places, and wouldn't want to be limited to a single flight.

If they want special accommodations, they will take that flight or deal with sitting wherever they end up.

magenta

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:41 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I have little sympathy for the posters saying they don’t like sitting near strange men. It’s an airplane. There will be strange men, women and children. Unless someone is putting their hand on your knee or vomiting in your lap, deal with it. You’re on an airplane. You have not chartered a private jet. You won’t sit two seats together with nobody nearby unless you splurge on first class and the seats are in pairs. Otherwise, you will be near others. It’s uncomfortable, it’s inconvenient, but it’s how people fly from place to place.

I would just like to this point out. To some men just sitting next to a strange woman is as uncomfortable as having someone put their hands on your knees etc.
Is that an excuse to create a ruckus and delay a flight? Of course not.

ElTam

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:46 pm
I think Marina nailed it. f you are a man and you are uncomfortable, 1) don't touch the woman next to you and 2) spend the X number of hours the flight lasts working on yourself if you have such uncontrollable thoughts that you can't sit next to a woman without being uncomfortable. There are many books you can get out from the library that will help you control unwanted, intrusive thoughts.

If you want to be sure you won't have sit next to a woman, pay for a first class aisle seat and offer to give it up to anyone who will place you in a situation where you are sitting with a man. You will have many takers.

And for the record, I have sat on more busses, planes and trains than I care to count, and the only person I've ever been attracted to was my husband.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:48 pm
magenta wrote:
I would just like to this point out. To some men just sitting next to a strange woman is as uncomfortable as having someone put their hands on your knees etc.
Is that an excuse to create a ruckus and delay a flight? Of course not.

1) Book an aisle seat with your wife in the middle seat. You can do that.
2) If you’re flying alone explain it to the airline when you book your seat and see if they’ll accommodate.
3) If you get on the flight and are seated next to a woman, either sit down and accept it or get off the flight.
4) If you want to change seats get off the flight, go to the counter and see if another seat is available that is to your liking. If that’s not possible, make a decision about whether or not to fly.
5) If the seat can’t be changed by the staff at the gate privately and you really feel you must fly, fly. Be polite. Think some nice clean thoughts. Remember that it’s a finite period in your life, and that you knew when you booked the flight that this might be the case if you didn’t book a seat next to your spouse or another man.

There are things that make all of us uncomfortable. We can’t always do something about it.

magenta

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:14 pm
Clarissa wrote:
1) Book an aisle seat with your wife in the middle seat. You can do that.
2) If you’re flying alone explain it to the airline when you book your seat and see if they’ll accommodate.
3) If you get on the flight and are seated next to a woman, either sit down and accept it or get off the flight.
4) If you want to change seats get off the flight, go to the counter and see if another seat is available that is to your liking. If that’s not possible, make a decision about whether or not to fly.
5) If the seat can’t be changed by the staff at the gate privately and you really feel you must fly, fly. Be polite. Think some nice clean thoughts. Remember that it’s a finite period in your life, and that you knew when you booked the flight that this might be the case if you didn’t book a seat next to your spouse or another man.

There are things that make all of us uncomfortable. We can’t always do something about it.

Can I add #6 (or first of all) lose the sense of entitlement.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:32 pm
I just skimmed, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone.

I can't comprehend the comparison to WOW, and the demand that these extremists (the ones who are adamant about switching seats) deserve the same 'tolerance' we request for WOW.

WOW are demanding equal rights at the kotel. The kotel belongs to all Jews. Now, one must be sensitive and see how one accomodates these equal rights, but when it comes down to it, that's all they're asking for. (I 'get' that their equal rights trespass other's religious sensitivities. But still - they're not asking for anything their charedi male counterparts don't get automatically!)

The aggressive seat switchers are asking for MORE than equal rights. They want to rule the airplane.

The airplane belongs equally to all paying passengers, and usually when one reserves a specific seat, it's for a good reason. I don't see a problem with asking ONCE nicely to swicth a seat. ONCE. One can ask the flight attendant, so she can look all around, rather than bothering the passengers.

But pressuring people or delaying a flight by even 10 seconds is trespassing the rights of everyone.

ally

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:22 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Let's leave aside the fact that not all chareidim are as insular as others. All are intolerant in their insularity?

The less insular hareidim are probably not the ones making a fuss about switching seats.
I think its fair to say that the hareidim who won't sit next to women also don't like secular women in their neighbourhoods and are not trying to find a compromise with WoW for example.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics