Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Realistically what should my 16 month old be accomplishing?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 6:26 pm
I keep reading that DS should have 10+ words in his vocabulary and respond to commands (Bring me this, come here, etc...) He babbles as if we're having a conversation but he can only say a few words, 4 at the most.

What can I do to bring him more up to speed? I try to explain the things I do and what objects are, and read as much as possible but he can't sit still long enough and doesn't want me to read.

He also doesn't have any interest in using a spoon by himself.

Any tips?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 6:46 pm
At this age, speech needs to develop on its own. Some kids start talking later.my 15 month old understands EVERYTHING but only says 'mama' and 'wa, doo' for 1 - 2.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:00 pm
Google what your baby should b doing. If you are still concerned you can call an ei agency.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:30 pm
He sounds fine and you sound like you're stimulating him language wise. You can bring it up at the next well visit if you aren't sure (we have one at 18 months, not sure if all peds do that).

abs

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:16 pm
My 15 month old doesn't speak at all but understands everything (or almost everything) we say to her. But then again, she's baby #8 so she doesn't need to talk!

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:13 pm
If he's generally communicating well - I.e. engaging with you, letting you know what he wants with noises/gestures/etc, understands and responds appropriately to what you say (e.g. if you're talking about Daddy, he looks at Daddy. Following simple directions. etc) then please don't go counting words. 10 is just some kind of average estimate.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:22 am
all my kids walked early and spoke late. One kid spoke very late so I signed him up for speech therapy. But by the time he started the sessions he had already started kindergarten and suddenly started talking very well. (I don't generally put my kids into kindergarten until they are about 3). They all had no problems in school and are very bright kah.

My 17 month old now also only has a few words. But he runs and climbs stairs at the speed of light.

little_mage

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:35 am
At our 18 month well visit, the doctor only wanted to know if my son had seven words.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics