Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What nice things do you do for your kids?
Previous  1  2  3

proudmother1

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 8:24 pm
When cooking for a family, naturally one will gravitate towards the family members favorite foods. But I make it a point to say (sometimes whisper) for example:
I made the tomato soup with you in mind. I know you love it.

nechamad

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 8:46 pm
I tell nice stories about the kids (they helped someone, were nice to each other, did well in school, etc) to my husband, the other kids, or to my parents on the phone, and I tell it so the kids can hear. I also sincerely thank them for helping in the house. It makes them feel so good about themselves. I think it really helps create a positive self image. I also hug and kiss them and tell them I love them!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 3:03 am
My mother used to bring home one little pastry for each child when my parents went to a chassuna.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:18 am
Wow! U women are amazing!
Maybe my kids are still too young 4&6 ,and I work . so evenings are basically bath, supper , bed.
I was told my younger one is craving attention. He's a quiet child, so Im really trying harder now.
I'm actually planning to sign up at the library today, and start reading bedtime stories iyh. embarrassed
I think the main thing is to not let these things get me down, and just strive to be the best mom I can. Slowly but surely Confused

eschaya

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:54 am
I hate baking, and even stronger yet I can't stand baking with kids... but my kids all like it. So a few times I've just decided to overcome my teva and I prepare fun colored dough while they are at school. That way when they come home (after homework and dinner of course) they have a really special activity to do (and lots of greasy mess for me to clean up...). I know this means a lot to them, so I've been trying to do this.
Sometimes I'll leave short funny notes for them when they go to school (ie: write "I love you" on the peel of their banana).
The hospital where I used to work would sell small bags of cookies in their cafeteria. I'd sometimes buy them each a bag and bring it home with me. It's not that we don't have cookies at home, but it told them that I was thinking about them while I was at work.

musicmom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:56 am
Don't feel bad! We all do the best we can... I wish I could also read bedtime stories but I am sooo tired and there is so much to do! I am proud that I can put my kids to bed myself and dress them in the morning. I give them books (I find used ones are so cheap and then you don't have to pay fines at the library) and they read to themselves. On Shabbos I LOVE reading to my kids! It is hard to be a working mom and get housework done to. I absolutely love this thread! I also try to do one on one things with kids, but practically I can't. On Shabbos, it is hard to take just one kid on a walk and leave the others home. They all want to hold my hand also :-). I hold the hand of the youngest walker... At bedtime I do give each child a special goodnight kiss.....Even brushing their hair or curling the peyos, for me, shows them I love them. Breakfast in their favorite bowls! A hug when they were naughty and punished. Nicknames :-)

asmileaday

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 6:15 am
I sat on the couch with my 4 yr old and told him with lots of details the story of how he was born. (No not the labor and delivery part lol.)
How we were so excited, how small his toes were, what we brought him home in, how he cried so cutely, how much we loved him, where the vachtnacht was, how his older siblings took turns holding him etc...etc... You get the idea. The more details the merrier. He was intrigued. I saw it made him feel so special and loved.
He'll ask me often "mommy tell me the story of when I was born..." He loves it!

aussie2

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 12:06 pm
I love this post! REally nice to see how people go 'the extra mile'. We are already doing things all day for our kids that sometimes ppl may feel its not so necessary.. but the kids really feel when we are doing something extra special!

anyhow, I just signed up to a library and now we read bedtime stories in addition to 2 songs before bed.

I have taken my daughter out of gan for a special day with mommy.. this thread reminds me I should do it again sometime.. just really hard to fit it in with my work schedule.

birthdays- cakes w/ balloons and a toy..sing songs and make the kid feel really special.

and of course the occasional I love you treats etc..

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 12:50 pm
I take many pictures of my identical twins Very Happy Very Happy
and mark the backs of the pics with their names describing who is who .
with my first child I wrote in a scrapbook of all the gifts he got when he was born
filled in pages how much he weighed babys first words etc
each kid has a box filled with their first booties etc -
oldest kid had his shoes bronzed =

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:38 am
Those of you that take your kids out in the middle of school - are the school/cheder okay with it? I think it's an amazing thing to spend time alone and cannot do it after school hours so I usually just keep them home for the whole day (say, twice a year) that way the school just assumes they weren't feeling well or something like that.

I'd love to be upfront with the school but I'm afraid they won't allow it. I would also love to just turn up at their school and take them out unexpectedly... /wishful thinking/...

harriet

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
Those of you that take your kids out in the middle of school - are the school/cheder okay with it? I think it's an amazing thing to spend time alone and cannot do it after school hours so I usually just keep them home for the whole day (say, twice a year) that way the school just assumes they weren't feeling well or something like that.

I'd love to be upfront with the school but I'm afraid they won't allow it. I would also love to just turn up at their school and take them out unexpectedly... /wishful thinking/...

The school doesn't know details. I just show up midday and say "I'm taking out so and so for an hour, he has an appointment. . ." I don't specify that the appointment is with me and the pizza store (and sometimes the dollar store as well. . .)

At the end of the day, this is my child and I get to make the decision (that sometimes the detriment of missing some classtime is outweighed by the benefits of spending one on one time with me feeling special just like sometimes I need to schedule a doctor's appointment midday even though obviously that's not ideal from the schools point of view)

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 7:43 am
harriet wrote:
The school doesn't know details. I just show up midday and say "I'm taking out so and so for an hour, he has an appointment. . ." I don't specify that the appointment is with me and the pizza store (and sometimes the dollar store as well. . .)

At the end of the day, this is my child and I get to make the decision (that sometimes the detriment of missing some classtime is outweighed by the benefits of spending one on one time with me feeling special just like sometimes I need to schedule a doctor's appointment midday even though obviously that's not ideal from the schools point of view)

I totally get that. I also say he had/has an appointment. I'm just wondering if there's anyone here that actually takes their child out with the school's full permission.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics