Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Letting My 5 Year Old Go To Birthday Party?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 12:56 pm
My daughter was invited to a birthday party for a girl in her class this Tuesday (veterans day) in great neck. I live I queens and I don't drive. My husband drives but he has to go to work. One of my daughter's
friend's mother said she can take her since she is taking her daughter anyway. I'm not sure I feel comfortable having someone else drive my daughter to the party. Plus I have never met the birthday girl's parents. Is it wrong to not let my daughter go? I'm nervous having her ride to great neck with neither me or my husband. In addition, my daughter would be in the hands of people I dont even know. Am I justified in the way I feel or am I being too overprotective?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 1:08 pm
Do you know the woman driving your daughter? Great Neck is only 15 minutes from Queens. I would let her go if I was friends with the woman driving.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 2:06 pm
I would also let her go if I know the driver.

Dev80

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 2:12 pm
Would there be room in the car that you can go along to? That way you can drop her off, meet the mother and maybe feel more comfortable. Or if you are free that day maybe you can call the mother of the bday girl and offer to come help if that interests you at all (I remember having one or two friends mothers at my bday parties to help with the activities). Just a thought but in this day and age I do understand your hesitation even though it probably is a perfectly safe environment.

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter was invited to a birthday party for a girl in her class this Tuesday (veterans day) in great neck. I live I queens and I don't drive. My husband drives but he has to go to work. One of my daughter's
friend's mother said she can take her since she is taking her daughter anyway. I'm not sure I feel comfortable having someone else drive my daughter to the party. Plus I have never met the birthday girl's parents. Is it wrong to not let my daughter go? I'm nervous having her ride to great neck with neither me or my husband. In addition, my daughter would be in the hands of people I dont even know. Am I justified in the way I feel or am I being too overprotective?

You're between ages.

If she were a couple of years younger, of course you wouldn't send her to an unknown home.

If she were a couple of years older, you'd be overprotective. There will be a time when you don't know all of your kids' friends, and when you don't drive them everywhere yourself.

Call the birthday girl's parents. Introduce yourself. Ask them about the party, to give yourself some level of comfort.

Then let her go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers