Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Seeking pediatric advice; Decaf coffee safe for a toddler?

Yael3

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:43 pm
I only drink decaf because I like the taste of coffee but not the jitters. My almost 2 year old daughter wanted some so I let her have a sip of my iced decaf and she loved it. My husband was not comfortable with it so I put it in the other room and she threw a complete tantrum screaming coffee coffee and crying uncontrollably.
I know even decaf has a minimal amount of caffeine but if I'm not mistaken, chocolate has even more (which she eats occasionally on Shabbos).
Are there any doctors or pediatricions here that can speak on the subject?
Thanks!

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:46 pm
My brother had a classmate who drank coffee every morning in pre nursery (2 years old), and continued doing so throughout the rest of his schools years (don't know what happened after he graduated). My mother asked his mother one morning, "You give your son coffee?" She responded, "It's decaf!"

Coffee stains teeth, but so does soda, tea, and anything besides for water.

Not a pediatrician, just thought that the story might make you laugh.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:51 pm
I knew it was addictive, but wow.

Yes. They can't get all the caffeine out. That's ok for an adult but at her body weight? The dose is much higher because she is so small.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 4:14 pm
My 4 year old was begging me this week for a "no caffeine coffee" I did some googling and I found this.

https://www.bcm.edu/research/c.....e.htm

I would not let him have it daily but once in a while why not.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 4:37 pm
I'm not a medical professional, but I allow my kids to have decaf coffee every once in a while and it has never had a noticeable effect on them. Just yesterday I gave them at around 430 pm and they were both out cold by 7.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 4:47 pm
let me put it to you this way: when I was about 4 or 5, my mom would occasionally put a few spoonsful of her regular caffeinated coffee in my glass of milk as a treat. Not only do I not have hair growing on the palms of my hands, I am not a druggie, and I am not a caffeine junkie. I cannot even tell the difference between caf and decaf. Took me decades to discover that most people drink coffee for the caffeine. I drink it because I like wrapping my hands around a hot mug, and chicken soup is fleishik. Being fleishik at 9.00 in the morning is just wrong.

However, I am only 3 feet 6 inches tall ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Juuuuust kidding.

bnm

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:22 pm
my kids get hot coco. if they davka want coffee I would give them decaf. Decaf has way less caffeine than coke.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:57 pm
I give my kids hot chocolate or chocolate milk when they get the coffee cravings. I put it in the same styrofoam cups I drink coffee out of, so they feel like it's really coffee. They're old enough to know it's not, but they feel good about it without getting the caffeine. Might work for your daughter!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:03 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I give my kids hot chocolate or chocolate milk when they get the coffee cravings. I put it in the same styrofoam cups I drink coffee out of, so they feel like it's really coffee. They're old enough to know it's not, but they feel good about it without getting the caffeine. Might work for your daughter!

Hot chocolate and chocolate milk both contain caffeine. Probably about the same as decaf coffee, possibly more.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:11 pm
Celestial Seasonings has a caffeine free Coffee Tea. I never tried it though as it's not available in my local supermarkets/groceries so I cannot vouch for the taste, but maybe someone else can. It's called Roastaroma.

yogabird

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:16 pm
We used to do some kind of coffee alternative made from roasted grains called Postum. Not too bad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics