Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Kallah wearing white ...
Previous  1  2  3  4

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:00 pm
listen up - we have convinced her not to wear a jean skirt ... that was a feat in & of itself

so she will be unique ... it's her day

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:01 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivory-Satin-1940s-WWII-Vintage-Wedding-Dress-/251699651614

(Although it looks like a nightgown more to me than a wedding dress Wink)

did they really call that a wedding dress ... it's so feminine she wouldn't even wear that as a nightgown

but it's FUN to see what's out there

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:10 pm
imaima wrote:
Please they have all of their life together to be themselves. They have to be chosson and kallah just for one day

I think both of you are right. There are likely to be some concessions here and there, and the chosson will probably look at her and think, I really understand and respect why you did that and see your truest best self. But this only has to go so far.
How's that for reconciling opposing thoughts?

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:18 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think both of you are right. There are likely to be some concessions here and there, and the chosson will probably look at her and think, I really understand and respect why you did that and see your truest best self. But this only has to go so far.
How's that for reconciling opposing thoughts?

sounds kabalistic - everything in the world has it's counterpart to create a balance

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:19 pm
Let her be sure she doesn't regret not getting her one day princess thing

Fox

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:30 pm
ITA with everything Zaq said. According to my understanding, it was almost unheard of for women to have a separate dress worn only for the wedding until the Regency era, when only very, very wealthy aristocratic brides began to do so. However, Queen Victoria popularized the notion of a white wedding dress, and the increasing availabilty of mass-produced garments made such dresses possible for middle-class brides.

Among both Jews and non-Jews in Europe, even moderately wealthy brides usually wore something that could be worn again. We don't see suits at chassunahs so much anymore (except perhaps a dressy suit on a very mature bride) because most of us associate suits with work, but suit-like outfits were more common earlier in the century.

Like everything, there has to be a balance. Obviously, the kallah wants something in which she feels beautiful and which suits her style. At the same time, I was at a wedding a few years ago where I learned that the kallah's dress had cost $3500. She was a pretty girl, but she would have been just as beautiful in a $200 dress, and the money could have been better spent -- either altruistically or to provide a few more chairs for the guests, lol!

My guess, Greenie, is that your DD will find something that fits her style without causing heart palpitations among the more staid guests. If I recall, that's what happened several years ago when a poster's relative was considering a dark green gown.

proudmother1

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 3:35 pm
Fox wrote:
ITA with everything Zaq said. According to my understanding, it was almost unheard of for women to have a separate dress worn only for the wedding until the Regency era, when only very, very wealthy aristocratic brides began to do so. However, Queen Victoria popularized the notion of a white wedding dress, and the increasing availabilty of mass-produced garments made such dresses possible for middle-class brides.

Among both Jews and non-Jews in Europe, even moderately wealthy brides usually wore something that could be worn again. We don't see suits at chassunahs so much anymore (except perhaps a dressy suit on a very mature bride) because most of us associate suits with work, but suit-like outfits were more common earlier in the century.

Like everything, there has to be a balance. Obviously, the kallah wants something in which she feels beautiful and which suits her style. At the same time, I was at a wedding a few years ago where I learned that the kallah's dress had cost $3500. She was a pretty girl, but she would have been just as beautiful in a $200 dress, and the money could have been better spent -- either altruistically or to provide a few more chairs for the guests, lol!

My guess, Greenie, is that your DD will find something that fits her style without causing heart palpitations among the more staid guests. If I recall, that's what happened several years ago when a poster's relative was considering a dark green gown.

I disagree. Wholeheartedly.
When my daughter got married, SHE was my main focus.
I was fine with a smaller guest list. A basic menu. Etc.

SimchaSays

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:42 pm
I was gonna wear a denim wedding dress. Went with purple on my gown instead....
Would she go with a simple dress with a "chopped" bottom? Ragged edged, sideways cut (one side by knee other to the floor), or something similar. Something that says "ok, I'm going traditional my way!"
Mazel tov!

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:00 pm
Fox wrote:

Please, I beg of you. Never watch Say Yes to the Dress. Ever. I like and respect you far too much, and I don't think that even your young and healthy heart could take the strain.

Now close your eyes.

Hidden: 

These monstrosities, for example, are over $10,000.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:35 pm
Here is a photo from my grandparents wedding. No need for the white and frilly. Smile

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:09 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Here is a photo from my grandparents wedding. No need for the white and frilly. Smile

doncha just love the old black & whites

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 2:28 am
This seems to be an interesting fabric source:

http://www.voguefabricsstore.c......html
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics