Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Jury Duty and early Friday?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:42 pm
Just received a Jury Duty summons--call in--starting on one of the earliest Fridays of the year. I'm supposed to call or go online "after 5pm"--What do I do? How do I inform them about Shabbos?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:47 pm
I just had this. Thursday was my first day and I had to go back for Friday. On Friday I got called into a room to be possibly chosen as a juror. I told the lawyer I am observant I would need to leave by three at lunch they excuse me and I went to go speak with the person in the office I told them that I am observing as well and I would need to leave by three she told me to come back at three and then I would be finished with my jury dutysince Friday with my second day I'm done and I don't have to go back for another eight years just be sure to tell whoever you speak to that you need to leave by 3 o'clock Anonymous because I spoken to people about this in real life

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:49 pm
In my city you can decline a particular day and request a different one. See if that's possible where you live.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
I just had this. Thursday was my first day and I had to go back for Friday. On Friday I got called into a room to be possibly chosen as a juror. I told the lawyer I am observant I would need to leave by three at lunch they excuse me and I went to go speak with the person in the office I told them that I am observing as well and I would need to leave by three she told me to come back at three and then I would be finished with my jury dutysince Friday with my second day I'm done and I don't have to go back for another eight years just be sure to tell whoever you speak to that you need to leave by 3 o'clock Anonymous because I spoken to people about this in real life

OP, I'm in NYC, this is a "call-in" standby jury duty and I can't call in on the first day.

penguin

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:24 pm
Don't they give you a form to complete regarding possible exemptions? You should be able to send that in with a note from your Rabbi that you can't serve on a Friday after X time (leaving adequate time for delays e.g. double is often recommended).

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
Just received a Jury Duty summons--call in--starting on one of the earliest Fridays of the year. I'm supposed to call or go online "after 5pm"--What do I do? How do I inform them about Shabbos?

Call motzi Shabbos. Nothing is happening until Monday.

kb

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:55 pm
There should be a card or number on the back to send back if it doesn't work for you.

If not, take it and go down a different day and tell them your problem. You're not the first Jew to serve jury duty in nyc :-)

morah

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:59 pm
The way the call-in works in NYC is that you call to find out when they need you to come in. The first possible time to call is Friday at 5 pm, that does NOT mean that you must call exactly then. When you call, you get an automated recording letting you know which numbers need to come in on Monday (your number is on your summons). You can call at any time before Monday, it's just the same recorded message. If your number is not called, you call back Monday after 5 to find out about Tuesday, and so on and so forth until your number comes up. Your number will come up at some point during the week, and when you hear it, the next morning you have to come in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions