Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challah recipe

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:20 am
recipe for whole wheat challah that is fluffy?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
recipe for whole wheat challah that is fluffy?

5 lbs. whole wheat flour
6 packages of yeast (2.25 tsp per package)
1 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. salt
2 c. oil
1.5 c. honey
6 c. lukewarm water

1. Proof yeast with 1 tsp. sugar and 1 c. of the warm water in a small bowl.
2. In a small pot, slowly warm up the oil and honey on the stovetop on low flame. Do not boil.
3. Mix dry ingredients in the mixer, slowly add the warmed oil and honey a small amount at a time, and then proofed yeast.
4. Next, add the rest of the warm water a cup at a time. let the mixer go for about 8 minutes.
5. Turn dough out into a lightly greased bowl and cover with parchment and a towel to let rise for about an hour. Do not allow to rise again.
6. Punch down, take challah with brocha, then shape. You can put some rolled oats on top as a garnish.
7. Bake at 350. Check after about 20 minutes for rolls, up to 40 minutes for larger challahs. Make sure to rotate trays so they bake evenly. Best a bit undercooked but golden on the outside.

I don't have a Bosch. I mix dry ingredients in my large stainless bowl, then keep kneading. You'll see after rising that it's a great dough.

happy2Bamommy

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 4:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
5 lbs. whole wheat flour
6 packages of yeast (2.25 tsp per package)
1 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. salt
2 c. oil
1.5 c. honey
6 c. lukewarm water

1. Proof yeast with 1 tsp. sugar and 1 c. of the warm water in a small bowl.
2. In a small pot, slowly warm up the oil and honey on the stovetop on low flame. Do not boil.
3. Mix dry ingredients in the mixer, slowly add the warmed oil and honey a small amount at a time, and then proofed yeast.
4. Next, add the rest of the warm water a cup at a time. let the mixer go for about 8 minutes.
5. Turn dough out into a lightly greased bowl and cover with parchment and a towel to let rise for about an hour. Do not allow to rise again.
6. Punch down, take challah with brocha, then shape. You can put some rolled oats on top as a garnish.
7. Bake at 350. Check after about 20 minutes for rolls, up to 40 minutes for larger challahs. Make sure to rotate trays so they bake evenly. Best a bit undercooked but golden on the outside.

I don't have a Bosch. I mix dry ingredients in my large stainless bowl, then keep kneading. You'll see after rising that it's a great dough.

I use a very similar recipe with only 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of honey. It is absolutely delicious!!!!! I've tried different whole wheat challah recipes in the past and this recipe still beats them all!!!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 7:31 pm
happy2Bamommy wrote:
I use a very similar recipe with only 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of honey. It is absolutely delicious!!!!! I've tried different whole wheat challah recipes in the past and this recipe still beats them all!!!

Interesting. Because I find that while kneading sometimes I'm tempted to add more liquid (but don't, it works out).
Good to know if I'm low on something.
Anyway, glad to have the endorsement, that there is such a thing as a 100% ww challah and "it's tasty too!" (Points to whoever can ID that phrase. Eh, you probably can't read this Twisted Evil )

Mevater

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:51 am
Have others tried this recipe?

chani8

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:21 am
I've not tried that recipe but I have feedback. Pre-sifted whole wheat flour is nicer, then sift again of course. And, use soda water not regular water.

I don't use honey or oil. Just 1 Tbs of sugar.

And if it's instant yeast, no need to proof it. Just pour water, yeast, sugar in, then flour, then salt (last). Coat with oil and cover with baking paper.

vafsiode

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:09 am
is there a way to make challah for someone sensitive to yeast?

chani8

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 7:27 am
vafsiode wrote:
is there a way to make challah for someone sensitive to yeast?

Yes, you use a baking soda recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen