Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Landlord Using Storage Room for Play

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 9:55 pm
I have a great relationship with my landlord. We do each other favors all the time, and are very comfortable with each other.

My landlord has a small storage room that is right off my apartment, with just a thin door separating the room from my dining room. She allows me to use her extra freezer which is in that room, and every so often they will come down to get something from the room, which is perfectly fine. Over the last week her eleven year old son took out a huge box of lego that is kept in the storage room, and he's been spending hours playing there, literally all day and night.

It's been making us uncomfortable because we feel like there's an eleven year old listening to us all day. We literally hear the clicking of the lego as he plays, and he's right off the dining room, which is the main room in my apartment. Is it wrong if we ask him to play upstairs?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 9:59 pm
You can't ask him to play upstairs. That room is not part of your apartment. You can inform the landlord that you would prefer her son play somewhere else.

kb

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:01 pm
How about mentioning to your landlord that you feel uncomfortable, and could you please split the cost with her for a more sound proof door?

Fave

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:03 pm
Why don't you get a white noise machine to block out the noise?

The landlord owns the room, and since he didn't rent that space to you, he has full rights to utilize it as he sees fit- manners and etiquette aside.

As I see it, this will be a passing stage, as the eleven year old will soon lose interest in playing alone downstairs.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 10:25 pm
This is exactly why we moved out of our basement apt. We felt like our privacy was being invaded even if they came down to get something from their storage space for 1 minute. If you are close with them u should totally bring it up or get out of there!

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:54 am
You can't *demand* that he stop playing there, but you have nothing to lose by *asking.* Worst case scenario they'll say sorry but the kid has no other place to play alone and really needs his personal space. In which case you'll have to decide whether it's time to move. But maybe they'll say sure, they didn't realize he was doing it/it bothered you, and then the situation will resolve itself. Why not?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette