Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Following an object and tummy time

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 6:12 am
My beautiful 10-week-old boy is absolutely adorable but making me slightly nervous. We just went to tipat chalav, and he pretty much failed all the tests. She said he should be on his stomach whenever he's not sleeping, but he hates it. He starts crying like a minute after he's put down on the mat. He doesn't like laying on his back all the time either, but it's a bit better. Any advice on this? I can't have him hysterically crying the whole day- that seems worse for his development to me. She also said to massage his back with oil while he's on his stomach after the bath, and that went ok, but I think that serves a different purpose, no?

When she hung a toy in front of him to follow, he just showed no interest. I just tried again with a really noisy rattle and he wouldn't focus on it when it was in front of him or turn to it when it was next to him. I tried a couple inches away and a bit further, and nothing. He likes looking at my face sometimes and ata couple of specific pictures on the wall, so I know he can see. And he likes music and when I sing to him, so I'm pretty sure he's hearing okay. Anyone have experience with this? He just doesn't seem to care about the toy or its noise.

luppamom

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 6:39 am
My baby also hated tummy time when she was very little, so I did a little compromise and used to put her on her stomach across my legs. This gave her the stomach position, but it was easier for her b/c she didn't have to work so hard to hold up her head. It also helped for the gas. When she got older (3-4 months) and was able to hold up her head more and look at toys and try to roll, then she started liking tummy time more.

June

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 6:45 am
luppamom wrote:
My baby also hated tummy time when she was very little, so I did a little compromise and used to put her on her stomach across my legs. This gave her the stomach position, but it was easier for her b/c she didn't have to work so hard to hold up her head. It also helped for the gas. When she got older (3-4 months) and was able to hold up her head more and look at toys and try to roll, then she started liking tummy time more.

same here. we would rest tummy to tummy. also, getting down to her eye level while she was propped on a thin cushion on her play mat helped for like 5 minutes until she got upset. now she's 4-1/2 months and enjoys playing on her tummy. tummy time is great, but if it doesn't work, don't upset yourself and your baby over it!

in regard to following toys - does he make eye contact with you/smile at you? my baby also wasn't interested in toys at 10 weeks, but she like socializing with my husband and me.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 6:50 am
I really dislike all those random requirements and cut offs.
We don't do tummy time here. The kid will go on his tummy or her tummy when he feels so. And despite this we don't end up in therapy more than Americans, probably less.
Some well meaning (?) people online tried to make me feel bad about my son last year, telling me to"get him assessed" (not even a concept here). I ended up going to the ped who said it was BANANA and he was actually slightly advanced... and the summer after he started running (from not really walking to running in 2 weeks).

As for toys, my baby just turns 7 kah and she crawls all around and almost sits up on her own but her interest in toys that aren't my iphone are limited. Meh.

If YOU aren't worried, I'm not either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics