Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bar mitzvah menu question - milchig lunch, fleishig 3rd?

unihockey

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 2:58 pm
Hi, we're b"h planning for my 2nd son's bar mitzvah late in the spring. My husband suggested that maybe, since the kiddush/lunch will include the whole shul, which anyway has lots of vegetarians (we're in an area where that is common), that we should have a milchig kiddush/lunch - maybe bagels, salads, kugels, good desserts, and then have fleishigs for the smaller family gathering for seuda shlishit. I've never heard of this, but wondered if people think it's crazy. The advantage of the milchig meal for lunch is that it's cheaper per person for the bigger crowd. The date is late enough that I don't think waiting-time for milchig would be an issue either way, but I suppose we're guaranteed of that if the fleishig is second.

Thoughts?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 3:02 pm
Sounds pretty clever to me - that way people keeping 6 hours will have no problem!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds pretty clever to me - that way people keeping 6 hours will have no problem!

If she doesn't serve hard cheese, why would they have to wait?

unihockey

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 4:46 pm
Well, I actually think even if we did meat first, in late April in this area of the country we would be fine at 6 hours. But yes, I don't think we would have any issues whatsoever with bagels/cream-cheese/etc. first.

My question wasn't really kashrut as much as, has anyone ever heard of this ordering of meals, because I don't think I have ever been at a simcha that did this, in my 40+ years. Smile

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 4:52 pm
Where I live milchig simchos are very common. A lot of people do a kiddush buffet with salmon, smoked salmon, gefilta fish, other smoked fish, quiche, salads etc. And of course lots of yummy milchig desserts.

If its not typical people will probably love it. You can do an ice cream bar or something fun.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 5:03 pm
I think it sounds like a great idea. If your dh is on board with it - go for it!

unihockey

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 5:03 pm
Thanks! Right, also where I live, milchig simchas are common - but not with then a fleishig seuda shlishit, right? Have you ever seen a fleishig seuda shlishit at a simcha, period?

I totally agree re. the ice cream, or at least a good dessert that doesn't have to be parve Smile It is especially good b/c my youngest is allergic to corn and soy, so margarine is always a problem for him. (I do have a couple of cakes and brownies made with oil or coconut etc., but desserts in general are easier milchig.)

My son just told me that the most recent b"m he went to, had fleishigs after havdalla at the party, but I would classify that as a "melave malke" so I still haven't heard of a fleishig seuda shlishit....

spring13

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 9:10 pm
It's not common, but that doesn't mean that A. there's something wrong with it and B. that people will mind. Frankly, I'd expect that people will find it refreshing and fun, especially if there are a lot of vegetarians in your shul. I say if you, your DH, and the bar mitzvah boy are ok with it, then go for it. You might set a trend!

Make sure that some of the milchig offerings are at least somewhat "Shabbosdik" or more substantial- having some salmon or something like that might keep the "it's not a seudah without animal flesh" types from being too upset.

unihockey

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 7:05 pm
Thank you!! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics