Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby meals

Roses4me

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 7:36 am
My dd is 9mo now and on 2 meals.
Fruit puree for lunch. I recently added cereal to it and today a bit of milk.
For dinner sweet potato with chicken soup blended.
What can I give as a third meal? Breakfast I guess? I spend so much time making the fruit puree and potatoes. Was thinking to vary dinner with blended rice n veg n chicken etc. thx!

smss

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 8:11 am
she's 9 months? you definitely don't have to blend anything! any cooked vegetables are great- squash, sweet potato, etc. just cut them into cubes and put them on the high chair tray. avocado is an amazing baby food- high in healthy fats and easy for them to eat since it's soft. you can start giving her bits of mashed up chicken or meatballs. by this age, you can really start giving them similar to what you're eating yourself, just in cubes they can manage or mashed a little.

2gether

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 8:18 am
Try some solids that require less preparation:
bread cut into bits, cooked potatoes not blended,cucumber, banana,crackers,cereal, porridge, cottage cheese, yogurt, chicken,
-all in little baby bite size pieces.

Roses4me

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:08 am
She doesn't have any teeth yet and just swallows things. I'm scared to give her pieces.
Here they also advise no salt in food till 12 mths.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:15 am
You want her to learn to manipulate food with her jaws, not just swallow it. Any soft food, or food that will become soft in her mouth with saliva, will allow her to use her gums to manipulate the food safely, and eventually she will transfer that skill to using her teeth. Just don't give huge chunks and everything should be fine. Too much salt isn't good for anyone Smile and stay away from anything spicy that may irritate her. But otherwise she should definitely be exposed to a wider variety of tastes and textures, basically whatever you eat in a soft version.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:30 am
My son is also 9mo, I give him whatever I'm having, if it's soft I give him some chunks if not I male out not chokeable. At this age they can eat almost anything. Cholent's the best baby food. I give a ricecake when we're out.
Don't think too much about it, give her lots of tastes and textures. Watch for reactions, and her diapers.
Now with solid foods don't forget the water!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:34 am
Iymnok wrote:
My son is also 9mo, I give him whatever I'm having, if it's soft I give him some chunks if not I male out not chokeable. At this age they can eat almost anything. Cholent's the best baby food. I give a ricecake when we're out.
Don't think too much about it, give her lots of tastes and textures. Watch for reactions, and her diapers.
Now with solid foods don't forget the water!

How much and how often should we be giving water? The only liquid my baby has is breastmilk. I didn't know that I should be giving water too. My baby is 10.5 months

smss

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
How much and how often should we be giving water? The only liquid my baby has is breastmilk. I didn't know that I should be giving water too. My baby is 10.5 months

you absolutely don't need to give water instead of breast milk. just nurse before you give the solids and you're fine Smile

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:39 am
Enough water to balance out the food. I'm just following the baby's cues. He started eating when he was ready, 7mo-ish. When his stools got too hard I gave Moe water and fruit.
He's still nursing full time too.

pickle321

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:56 am
smss wrote:
you absolutely don't need to give water instead of breast milk. just nurse before you give the solids and you're fine Smile

Thanks for the reassurance, I was getting nervous.

Didn't mean to post anon before don't know how that happened

pickle321

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:58 am
Iymnok wrote:
Enough water to balance out the food. I'm just following the baby's cues. He started eating when he was ready, 7mo-ish. When his stools got too hard I gave Moe water and fruit.
He's still nursing full time too.

I don't think her stools are too hard, how can you tell? (First time mom, don't know what's normal)

Roses4me

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 12:23 pm
Thanks for the replies. How does it work with breastfeeding - is it slowly replaced? My dd takes quite often still. I think I dont have so much per feed.

pickle321

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 12:46 pm
Roses4me wrote:
Thanks for the replies. How does it work with breastfeeding - is it slowly replaced? My dd takes quite often still. I think I dont have so much per feed.

At this age your baby shouldn't be nursing more than every 4 hours during the day. I nurse my baby 4 times a day 7am 11 am 3 pm 6:15 pm then bath and bed.

smss

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:47 pm
Roses4me wrote:

IME solids become a replacement for breastfeeding more like around 1 yr, or even a little older. for now they're still mostly for practice. just follow her cues and she'll make sure she gets what she needs. until 1 yr, you should definitely nurse and then give solids, not give solids instead of nursing.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 2:02 pm
pickle321 wrote:
At this age your baby shouldn't be nursing more than every 4 hours during the day. I nurse my baby 4 times a day 7am 11 am 3 pm 6:15 pm then bath and bed.

This is not accurate. Some babies will have that schedule, but it's very normal to nurse more often than that. An infant under age one should be getting all nutrition necessary from breastmilk, with solids just being an extra. Most babies will not get enough in four feeds out of 24 hrs.

Roses4me

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:41 pm
Ok guess I'm doing ok then. She just has a bigger break from nursing after the meals.

Liebs

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:19 am
I was told no milk/honey till 1 yrs. old.
Be careful with bananas.

pickle321

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:00 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
This is not accurate. Some babies will have that schedule, but it's very normal to nurse more often than that. An infant under age one should be getting all nutrition necessary from breastmilk, with solids just being an extra. Most babies will not get enough in four feeds out of 24 hrs.

I don't think that is true. Just because a baby is nursing more often does not mean the baby needs to be. Trust me my baby would nurse all day if I let her. And her main nutrition does come from breast feeding she does not eat a lot of solids and she is not hungry. I am not basing this off my baby but what I have read by baby experts. And I didn't say it's not normal to be nursing more than that but the baby doesn't need it

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:00 am
pickle321 wrote:
I don't think that is true. Just because a baby is nursing more often does not mean the baby needs to be. Trust me my baby would nurse all day if I let her. And her main nutrition does come from breast feeding she does not eat a lot of solids and she is not hungry. I am not basing this off my baby but what I have read by baby experts. And I didn't say it's not normal to be nursing more than that but the baby doesn't need it

Well most breastfeeding babies don't consume enough at each feed that four feeds a day would provide all of their daily nutrition Smile so those babies do in fact need it more often.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:07 am
pickle321 wrote:

y'know, it's so easy to get the title "baby expert", just write a book claiming you have THE solution to taking care of babies and suddenly you're an expert Smile
seriously, many of the "baby expert books" are just one author's personal opinions, not based on any facts or research. I am not saying you are wrong about your own baby, IMO a mother's intuition is the best guide to go by, I am just saying that there is no proof that a 9 month old only needs to nurse every 4 hours. nursing on demand will typically ensure that a baby does get what she needs. no schedule can guarantee that...no matter how many "experts" endorse it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics