Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! my 10 yr old daughter can't fall asleep!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:22 pm
My daughter has ADD and has a hard time falling asleep. The doctor recommended Melatonin, but she hates the taste of the MelaChew. Does anyone have any other ideas?

abs

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:23 pm
can she swallow pills? You can get melatonin in pill form. Or in drops and add it to water or juice.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:27 pm
Mash up the Mela CHew in strawberry jam? Or honey?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:32 pm
Have you tried sensory strategies and general winding down techniques?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:39 pm
no, can you give me some?

animeme

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:48 pm
I like a good bedtime routine as well as some progressive relaxation. You can google for some audio files, or scripts if you want to read the instructions yourself.

It's also important to eliminate all screen time within a half hour of bedtime, preferably an hour. Reduce light for a bit too- switch to a bed lamp to ease her into sleep, preferably with a more yellow bulb vs. A white one. Reduce activity too, if possible.

Sometimes you do need that melatonin. If its really just a matter of taste and she can't swallow, talk to your Rav about switching to a different brand without a hechsher. My Rav considers it medicine and says we have to use what works and what ds will take.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:54 pm
Cut out all screen time and dim the lights for an hour before bed. Take a warm bath or shower. Read to her (nope. she's not too old, and it's a great bonding opportunity) from an interesting but not too adventurous age appropriate book. Make sure her sleeping environment is cool, calm and dark. Reduce clutter in her room. Use heavy blankets and see if she likes it tightly wrapped around her, kind of like a burrito. Some kids prefer to be inside it flat, like a sandwich. Do deep breathing for a few minutes together. Have her consciously relax each part of her body, working from toes to head.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics