Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you report this?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:11 pm
Today I was waiting in the office of an allergist and there were several other people waiting for other doctors.
There was a small waiting aware on the side and there were 2 people and one large family besides for myself there.
The large family had a 2 year old that was running around acting kind of wild so the father opened his belt and teased him with it. He hit him with it but it was really more like a joke.
Then later the kid was still acting crazy so he slapped his hands a few times.
Overall the kid was hugging him and acting cute, but the older brother was also making her the kid didn't misbehave which could be because he was scared of his dad acting up but maybe also because he was embarrassed of what his dad thought was funny.
The dad did make a joke that he's going to pop the kid or beat him and did the same thing with his belt again but the kid did not look scared at all.
I can definitely call up the doctors office and report it, but I'm not sure if its just not necessary.
They were african american and the kid had light blue spots on his back are those bruises on a black child r just mongolian spots? if those were bruises then I'm pretty sure I'm going to report it, but I just want to get your input.
thanks to everyone who responds.

flmommy

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:44 pm
If I didn't actually see the father hit the kids and they didn't look scared then no I don't think I would. I'm not sure how you could have seen the kids back but if you think they may be bruises I would maybe say something to the allergy dr and ask them to be on the lookout.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:58 pm
flmommy wrote:
If I didn't actually see the father hit the kids and they didn't look scared then no I don't think I would. I'm not sure how you could have seen the kids back but if you think they may be bruises I would maybe say something to the allergy dr and ask them to be on the lookout.

the kid was crawling around and his shirt lifted up. like I said he just took his belt out of 2 loopholes and pretend hit the kid with the belt a few times but then hit him with his hand on his hand.
thanks

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:03 pm
My DH often 'threatens' our kids - but they have no clue what it means because he has never hit them, and never will.
When he says - "Do I have to take off my belt?" - they all laugh and are b'h clueless.

lately I've told him not to say it so loud or often or someone will report him. got to share this thread...

I think if a kid was really scared they would flinch at the threat.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:21 pm
Some people horse around with their kids in a way you find odd and you invoke the full power of the state, child protection services, doctors obliged to report, police visits, possible loss of custody, and on and on?

What?

AYOOYM?

MYOB

Wait til they report you for making your daughter wear tights and long sleeves on a hot day. And not letting her eat the snacks and candy put out, when all the other kids are eating them.

Do you have any idea what you are playing with?

Keep your eyes to yourself.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:24 pm
And the kids were about to be examined by a doctor. But you know better. A doctor. A real doctor. Whose ten years of training may have included what bruises look like.

Do not start a race war. Others will have to eat the results.

Was it you who thought the friend's baby might be a mamzer?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:33 pm
I spoke to a therapist who told me not to report it. so im not going to. its probably cultural.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:39 pm
Yes, our eternal propensity to not mind our own business is indeed cultural, yes.

Avraham Avinu, our father, took it upon himself to change people. So you come by it naturally.

But not this time. And not you.

Yes, other cultures are different, and they are not for you to police.

You had a narrow escape there. You almost did something very dangerous.

And brutally misguided, too.

Congratulations. Be careful.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:53 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Was it you who thought the friend's baby might be a mamzer?

no it was not me, I find the remark offensive, but I hear the point you were trying to make so ill let it slide!

marina

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:42 pm
Do you think the child is being abused? Neglected? Why? Based on what?

And do you know their names and addresses? How are you thinking about reporting without that?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:32 pm
marina wrote:
Do you think the child is being abused? Neglected? Why? Based on what?

And do you know their names and addresses? How are you thinking about reporting without that?

honestly I cannot assume that he is being abused or neglected based on what I saw
just taking your belt out of two loops and fake hitting a kid who is 2 yrs old is not really the norm but then again maybe I'm being naive
I don't know the name or address, but I would just call the drs office and tell them what I saw
I decided to pass because honestly the kid looked really happy and its none of my business what I witnessed with my eyes could not be called abused just weird behavior.

cookiejar

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:51 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Yes, our eternal propensity to not mind our own business is indeed cultural, yes.

Avraham Avinu, our father, took it upon himself to change people. So you come by it naturally.

But not this time. And not you.

Yes, other cultures are different, and they are not for you to police.

You had a narrow escape there. You almost did something very dangerous.

And brutally misguided, too.

Congratulations. Be careful.

Ummm - you are being a BIT harsh, here... Your answer to her is "No, I don't think you should". But apparently for her it was a question. I don't think she deserves or asked for the VERBAL assault she just received from YOU!!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
no it was not me, I find the remark offensive, but I hear the point you were trying to make so ill let it slide!

Thanks.

That is appreciated.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 12:35 am
Dolly- You are over exaggerating just a little.

That type of behavior is VERY concerning, especially to a 2 year old.
There should be almost nothing outside of dangerous or violent behavior that a parent should be threatening a 2 year old with corporal punishment over.
If someone is not embarrased to do that in public the chances are they are hitting at home.

Again, I wouldn't report a total stranger without knowing more about the picture and verifying what really happens but if I was a teacher and saw that behavior or if I knew the person, I would definitely keep an eye on them.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 1:35 am
It must have been uneasy making and unpleasant.

SRS

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:11 am
I find it shocking that over some interactions you briefly witnessed with ZERO context that involved no actual violence, that you would be willing to report to the authorities. Are you will to take the responsibility of tearing children away from their parents (specifically a FATHER for which was many American children are deprived of) to be put in a situation that is most likely not an improvement because of some behavior that you witnessed that was not violent, just uncomfortable for you?

Fact: parenting for most of history involved threatening children and even spanking them. I'd wager a bet that most of our parents were spanked, some even with a belt. Do you think that the alte Zadies that are now beloved should have been separated from their children if you could rewind back to 1950?

Obviously when it comes to real abuse, not just signs of abuse, one should protect. But this little interaction and that little interaction and even an "infraction" in parenting here or there isn't good enough reason to place an anonymous call to CPS and make some family's life a living hell.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:21 am
SRS wrote:
I find it shocking that over some interactions you briefly witnessed with ZERO context that involved no actual violence, that you would be willing to report to the authorities. Are you will to take the responsibility of tearing children away from their parents (specifically a FATHER for which was many American children are deprived of) to be put in a situation that is most likely not an improvement because of some behavior that you witnessed that was not violent, just uncomfortable for you?

Fact: parenting for most of history involved threatening children and even spanking them. I'd wager a bet that most of our parents were spanked, some even with a belt. Do you think that the alte Zadies that are now beloved should have been separated from their children if you could rewind back to 1950?

Obviously when it comes to real abuse, not just signs of abuse, one should protect. But this little interaction and that little interaction and even an "infraction" in parenting here or there isn't good enough reason to place an anonymous call to CPS and make some family's life a living hell.

Thumbs Up can't like this enough!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics