Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Husband is lactose intolerant but I like milchig supper

ludicrous

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:03 pm
I would love to make milchigs once a week for supper but my husband cannot tolerate milchigs whatsoever. what should I do? I have one son, a two year old, so he eats whatever is served, and I don't want to cook something basically just for me?
should I make milchigs and when we have one portion of fleishige leftovers, give my husband the leftovers and I take the milchigs out of the freezer?
this is not a shalom bayis issue, just a technical question to please everyone's palettes and stomach!

scrltfr

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:09 pm
Can't you make make him fish or something parve ?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:10 pm
ludicrous wrote:
I would love to make milchigs once a week for supper but my husband cannot tolerate milchigs whatsoever. what should I do? I have one son, a two year old, so he eats whatever is served, and I don't want to cook something basically just for me?
should I make milchigs and when we have one portion of fleishige leftovers, give my husband the leftovers and I take the milchigs out of the freezer?
this is not a shalom bayis issue, just a technical question to please everyone's palettes and stomach!

It really depends what kind of dairy supper you're speaking about. For example, if you're making pasta, you can just put on two different sauces. If it's pizza, so make one without cheese. If it's something like ravioli, there are non dairy alternatives. If you're cooking anyways, and really enjoy the dairy food, then it's not too difficult to push yourself to make something pareve as well. Leftovers would also do. Maybe you can make him fish?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:12 pm
Lactaid pillls

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:12 pm
Whats wrong with cooking something just for you??? You can make some fish for your husband, plus another salad or side dish you will both eat while you eat your favourite milchig food.

ludicrous

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:18 pm
op here
because once I am making fish than I also would want to eat it, so why make two meals, fish for him and milchigs for me, when I also like fish
and regarding why should I not make something only for myself, it is easier to make one dish for everyone, less mess, less dishes to wash, etc

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:19 pm
ludicrous wrote:
op here
because once I am making fish than I also would want to eat it, so why make two meals, fish for him and milchigs for me, when I also like fish
and regarding why should I not make something only for myself, it is easier to make one dish for everyone, less mess, less dishes to wash, etc

So that is your choice. Everyone decision that you make will come with pros and cons. If the dairy is not worth the work for you, then pass on it. If it is, then do the extra work.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:23 pm
ludicrous wrote:

Why not try to make one type of dish two ways?
For example, you can bread eggplant and bake it so that it is parve. Then you can assemble some of it with parve cheese and some with dairy. Serve along with French fries and a big filling salad that has avocado and maybe even add quartered hard eggs for your dh if he wants.
Another example would be baked fish, some of it crusted in parmesan.
Or veggie burgers, with or without melted cheese on top.
Or tuna pizza, dome parve, some dairy.
Etc.
Otherwise, you can switch each week between making a dairy or meaty dinner. Serve yourself fresh dairy dinner one week and freeze half for the following week, then serve your dh a fresh meaty dinner the next week and freeze half for the following week so he has leftovers when you serve yourself your fresh dairy dinner.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:39 pm
ludicrous wrote:

I do this all the time. But its not leftovers. I call it planovers. I cook an extra portion of chicken with the intention of putting it in the freezer.

Whenever possible make side dishes pareve so you can both enjoy.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:54 pm
Beans
Rice
Quinoa
Veggies
Nuts
Pasta
Soya or Tivall products

You can make meals out of various combinations of the above eg veg stew or curry - and add cheese to the lactose-tolerant portions for those who want it.

ohmygosh

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:33 pm
I love milchigs. But my DHs stomach cannot tolerate it either. So I have milchig lunches for myself that I eat at work and then have fleishig dinner for DH and I. This way I can get in my cheese cravings while not affecting our meal together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics