Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Any experience with cooking double of whatever you cook?

ludicrous

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:02 pm
does anybody have experience with cooking double of whatever you are making, to put in the freezer
do you find it makes things easier
how do you do it?

Rikkip

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:22 pm
ludicrous wrote:
does anybody have experience with cooking double of whatever you are making, to put in the freezer
how do you do it?

I do that most nights. I def find it easier. It's good for a backup or just when im not in the mood of cooking.
I pack them in labeled containers with the date it was made.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:45 pm
I make baked ziti in a big pan but I also put some in one or 2 small pans. The small pans each have one full portion which I freeze for another day. I freeze it cooked.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:02 pm
Always! I don't know how to cook any other way. I find it's just as easy to cook a big pot of soup as small, or two trays of chicken etc.
I freeze a lot of things raw - like chicken/meat dishes.
I freeze pasta SAUCES and then defrost and make the pasta fresh (meat sauce, vodka sauce, etc)
And I freeze other things directly in their sauce, all cooked, like meatballs or meatloaf.

I just made pepper steak from BY cookbook and froze half. In three weeks, I'll serve it over rice. The rice will be freshly made. Easy supper for a hectic night.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:50 pm
Yes, I do it all the time. Last shabbat was great because I had almost no cooking to do, just pulled everything out of the freezer. It was also really helpful last week because I got stuck in terrible terrible traffic eruv shabbat and had only 20 min before candle lighting to get ready!!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:59 pm
ludicrous wrote:
how do you do it?
Yes, make double the recipe, freeze one of the pans fresh.
I like freezing meats, dairy dishes and specific side dishes. I do not like freezing precooked chicken dishes or vegetables. But I often freeze chicken dishes prepared, seasoned and raw - ready to bake in the oven. And will often buy frozen vegetables to use at a moments notice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics