Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BY of Ramapo, BY of Monsey, BY D'Rav Hirsh
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:02 pm
Any information comparing and contrasting them would be appreciated. TIA

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:15 pm
I am in the same boat as you.

This is the information I have.

Ramapo - small school. 30 kids and one class. If there is social issues you cant switch classes. Kids try to go with a group of friends. They dont put so much pressure on marks. Everyone has opportunities to shine. Weaker students try to go to this school for that reason, but not all kids fall under that category.

BY Monsey - More yeshivish school than Ramapo, in general. 3 parellel classes. Stress tests and marks. My DD wants to go there because she wants to be challenged. I am nervous based on conversations with other parents that they push the kollel lifestyle to much. My DH thinks my DD be ok since she plans to continue her education after high school.

Bruers - dont have much info on this school. The kids that I know that are applying are on a different standard of living than me.

Manhattan High - They recently had an open house in Monsey. I dont know who you are, but is it an option for you?

Tip: Go to all open houses that you can. Have your DD apply to all 3 and then make your decision.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:
I am in the same boat as you.

This is the information I have.

Ramapo - small school. 30 kids and one class. If there is social issues you cant switch classes. Kids try to go with a group of friends. They dont put so much pressure on marks. Everyone has opportunities to shine. Weaker students try to go to this school for that reason, but not all kids fall under that category.

BY Monsey - More yeshivish school than Ramapo, in general. 3 parellel classes. Stress tests and marks. My DD wants to go there because she wants to be challenged. I am nervous based on conversations with other parents that they push the kollel lifestyle to much. My DH thinks my DD be ok since she plans to continue her education after high school.

Bruers - dont have much info on this school. The kids that I know that are applying are on a different standard of living than me.

Manhattan High - They recently had an open house in Monsey. I dont know who you are, but is it an option for you?

Tip: Go to all open houses that you can. Have your DD apply to all 3 and then make your decision.

What do you mean about a different standard of living than you?

I like Bruers because of no Sunday school. I don't know if the others have. I don't like the idea of Manhattan because of the commute.

Do you have any idea of the cost and scholarships? The problem with applying to 3 schools is the cost of the applications.

Thanks for the info.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
What do you mean about a different standard of living than you?

I like Bruers because of no Sunday school. I don't know if the others have. I don't like the idea of Manhattan because of the commute.

Do you have any idea of the cost and scholarships? The problem with applying to 3 schools is the cost of the applications.

Thanks for the info.

Regarding Bruers, they have alot of extracurricular activities. This attracts a more well to do crowd.

I am nervous about the tuition myself. I cant let myself get stressed out about that until my DD get accepted somewhere.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
Regarding Bruers, they have alot of extracurricular activities. This attracts a more well to do crowd.

I am nervous about the tuition myself. I cant let myself get stressed out about that until my DD get accepted somewhere.
Idea

How many schools are you applying to?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:08 pm
I was going to apply to 2, Ramapo and BY. I didnt think about the application fee. Do you know how much they charge?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
I was going to apply to 2, Ramapo and BY. I didnt think about the application fee. Do you know how much they charge?

I think it is like $400. I also hear there are not enough places for the girls.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
I think it is like $400. I also hear there are not enough places for the girls.

One thing Monsey has that Lakewood doesnt is that the elementary school takes upon themselves to place their students. Talk to your principle if you have any real concerns.

BTW- I missed this. Is it $400 for each school. OMG!!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
One thing Monsey has that Lakewood doesnt is that the elementary school takes upon themselves to place their students. Talk to your principle if you have any real concerns.

BTW- I missed this. Is it $400 for each school. OMG!!!!!
my principal is the one who told me any the shortage of space.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 12:31 am
I am out of high school abt 6 years but have three sisters who have gone after me. We all went to BY Monsey. The school is a huge mix. There is lots of emphasis on marks. There is Sunday school and each class in the school has their own sunday schedule. The school does promote Kollel learning. (I happen not to have married a Kollel boy) most girls nowadays no matter what high school they are in are going to college. My sisters who graduated did along with their friends.
there are three classes per grade. In general it is a good school
ramapo- don't know much about but I do know that girls are going there now but abt 6-7 yeasa ago they could not even get enough girls for a class.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:14 pm
Any update of this? We have to decide a high school for my DD.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:45 pm
BY d'rav hirsch os a more open minded Bais yaakov in that they encourage hashkafic discussions and questions "its not apikorsus, its a question. Ask and we can answer". Very warm hanhala and teachers, try to make a connection with the girls. They had a hard time with this the years they had multiple tracks but now they switched back to one class per grade and its much better again.

Both BYM and drav hirsch have a mix of girls. The main difference between the schools is the approach when it comes to dealing with issues, and rules.
Examples: yoffee coffe opened with free wifi. BYM told the girls they are forbidden from going there. BY drav hirsch told their girls that when they go there they shud be careful about xyz.
This is the perfect example of BYM approach vs drav hirsch- BYM likes to say "no" and drav hirach likes to say " be careful"

they are both fine schools, you just need to know your daughter and which approach is better for her.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 10:17 pm
And BY of Ramapo?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 4:50 am
amother wrote:
And BY of Ramapo?

I graduated from BYR 6 years ago. I had a very diverse class and absolutely loved my high school experience. The administration is extremely warm, caring and approachable. When you walk into the school there is a family-like atmosphere which we would pride ourselves in. 90% of my graduating class are currently professionals (accountants, nurses, social workers, OT's etc.) I would say most of us married short term learners, although there was a stress put on the importance of respecting a torah lifestyle.
I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions about my experience.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:56 am
I graduated from BYR about 5 years ago. I am so thankful that I went there. It was such a great school and gave me a great religious and secular education. The hanhala is exceptionally warm and caring. We had an amazing class! Most of my class has stayed in touch with each other throughout the years. All in all, I had a very positive experience in BYR and highly recommend it!

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:47 pm
Bump

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:38 am
I graduated from BYR many years ago and have a daughter who graduated and another currently attending. I second that it is a very warm place. That has been its mission since it started. It has the atmosphere and hashkafa of an "out of town bais Yaakov"
Less emphasis on the guilt and more on inspiration

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:47 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
BY d'rav hirsch os a more open minded Bais yaakov in that they encourage hashkafic discussions and questions "its not apikorsus, its a question. Ask and we can answer". Very warm hanhala and teachers, try to make a connection with the girls. They had a hard time with this the years they had multiple tracks but now they switched back to one class per grade and its much better again.

Both BYM and drav hirsch have a mix of girls. The main difference between the schools is the approach when it comes to dealing with issues, and rules.
Examples: yoffee coffe opened with free wifi. BYM told the girls they are forbidden from going there. BY drav hirsch told their girls that when they go there they shud be careful about xyz.
This is the perfect example of BYM approach vs drav hirsch- BYM likes to say "no" and drav hirach likes to say " be careful"

they are both fine schools, you just need to know your daughter and which approach is better for her.

I went to BYDRH and I prefer their approach. In life you can't shield yourself from everything. We live and deal with too many different kinds of people. Therefore, their hashkafa helps you navigate a Yiddeshe life in this world.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:54 am
In the Julia Haart thread, people mentioned that Bais Yaakov of Monsey isn't very yeshivish, while here it's described as quite yeshivish. What's it really like?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:59 am
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
In the Julia Haart thread, people mentioned that Bais Yaakov of Monsey isn't very yeshivish, while here it's described as quite yeshivish. What's it really like?

BYM in the early 90s under the Rebbetzin?
BYM in the mid 2000s under Rebbetzin Paretzky?
BYM of now under whoever the principal is?

3 different schools if you ask me.

I won't elaborate further
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics