Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Very sensitive five year old

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 2:13 pm
My son is very sensitive, but seemingly only when he's at home. At school his teachers say he always seems happy and well adjusted and he rarely complains in school or to me about anything happening at school. But when he's at home he is very whiny. Everythinf bothers him. He cries a lot, whenever things arent exactly as he wants. He cries about his tZitzis, about his shoes. If his sandwich had a piece broken off. If He has many many toys but always wants more and gets bored of them quickly except for lego but he's always freaking out about his lego breaking. He's been like this ever since he was a baby, and though he has gotten better, it's driving me crazy. And the worst part is that he knows it. He is extremely smart and perceptive ( has very high vocabulary and crazzyyy memory) and he will always point out to me when I do anything wrong. "Mommy, you didn't say please/thank you/ sorry." Or "mommy you can't yell at me because that makes me feel bad." " mommy it's your fault that I'm crying because you weren't nice to me." When he says these things I feel like the WORST mother, and I feel so ANGRY at him for pointing out exactly what I'm doing wrong while I'm doing it. It's true that I didn't say please or thank you or that I yelled at him but that's because he was misbehaving or whining!! And even if I stay calm for 3/4 of the time the 1/4 of the time is what he'll point out and remmeber and he'll tell me that I'm such a mean mommy... What am I supposed to answer when he points out things I do wrong? It's so hard for me to act calmy when I'm still in the angry moment...

Arghhhhhh!!!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 7:32 pm
No one has any advice? I just need to know what to answer him when he says certain things. Like today we put on music and were dancing, we do it often and the kids love it. Except this kid usually finds something to get upset about when we're doing it. It's hard for him to relax and just have a good time, there has to be some kind of point. So he'll want me to spin him around non- stop. Or he makes the dancing into some kind of game, like we all need to do a certain move. But if I don't do it he gets really upset and will often cry. So totally he got upset that I wasn't doing a certain move and he was laying on the floor kind of fake crying. And I thought it would be best to let him get over it and I continued dancing with the baby. Then he goes to me, " mommy, what do u think someone should do when they see someone else laying On the floor crying? Should they ignore them or should they help them?" And I didn't know what to say.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 7:35 pm
Google "The Highly Sensitive Child" by Elaine Aron. Has helped me/us tremendously
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics