Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
5 year old dd has no friends...

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:02 pm
I am a little or a lot concerned about my daughter who is five years old.. she has no friends in school and no friends outside school. she is not socially inappropriate, but she is what the teachers like to call "a wanderer" while all the other girs are playing and making friends, my daughter is by herself going from one end of the classroom to the other.. in pictures from school I often find her by herself while everyone else is huddled and hugging and smiling together.. I am really worried about her and am not sure what it is and what I can do to help.. any suggestions would be really appreciated. TIA

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:06 pm
Do the teachers have any insight as to what may be causing this? Does she have close relationships with any siblings, cousins or neighbors? Can the teachers suggest anyone you can foster a friendship with via play dates?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:10 pm
I spoke to the teacher and she said that its a problem.. I think she has a really strong personality and she takes over..
additionally, I dont think she has good realtionship with her cousins.. its a love hate relationship on all ends.. shes not liked so much by her cousins and neighbors.. I dont know y

I did a play date today with one of the girls her teacher said would work nicely but I dont know... I feel like I need to do more..

Last edited by amother on Fri, Nov 14 2014, 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:11 pm
I am an OT who works in frum schools- I think you should definitely be in touch with teachers and ask them for suggestions and ideas on how to make your daughter feel special and more confident in a social setting. If that does not help I would look into counseling- you can get the counseler to work on specific social skills training. You are definitely a great mom for picking up on this so soon before it can turn into a problem

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:12 pm
It sounds like she may need some coaching when it comes to social skills. Are the teachers working on that, or would a designated professional be better?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 6:59 am
im not sure what would be better.. but if I do get counseling for her (which seems to be a very big possibility) can someone recommend a good social therapist?

Last edited by amother on Fri, Nov 14 2014, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 9:00 am
Where are you located?

Bruria

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 5:06 pm
Maybe it would be a good idea if you set up a play date for her and a daughter of a friend of yours. Maybe at home she would feel more comfortable and would end up playing. I think setting play dates would be really helpful in helping her build friendships.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers