Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Los Angeles

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:39 pm
DH has been offered a job in LA, we are both european so dont have much knowledge of LA.
Which neighborhoods are best for families? Are there any Yekkish shuls?What elementary schools are there for boys and girls? Are the schools hard to get accepted to? how much is tuition?
We are modern yeshivish.
Any info would be so much appreciated! Thanks

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:21 pm
LA Amother here:
Los Angeles has a huge community. There are different "neighborhoods" within LA that have a different feel to them but the best thing would be to come and take a pilot trip.
I have lived here for a long time so I would be glad to answer questions you might have. I love the area and welcome any newcommers!! There is so much variety- in terms of schools, shuls, stores, restaurants etc. And its a beautiful place to live- mostly blue skies, green grassy lawns, flowers all year round pretty much because we have awesome weather! Its a cold spell this week- 60 degrees!! (we can drive to the beach, the snow and the desert...)
A brief overview: Neighborhoods : (each area is quite large and could be a city into itself almost).
La Brea-Beverly/Hancock Park- AKA "the city" (depending on who you ask). Technically hancock park is one sub area of La Brea-Beverly (two major streets that intersect near the center of town) that has the more expensive houses but sometimes the whole area is called Hancock Park. This tends to be the much frumer side of town historically but is somewhat not exclusive anymore as there are so few apartments and the houses are all quite expensive. So people are moving elsewhere in the LA area.
Next is "Pico-Robertson"- (or Pico for short. Again, Pico and Robertson are two major streets that intersect). Lots of apartments to rent, duplexes ect. Used to be much more modern side but now is a huge mix. It depends on where in the area you live, the shul you go to etc. Most restaurants are here, but its only about half an hour to get to La Brea.
Beverly Hills is really close to Pico and some parts are in walking distance on shabbos. really expensive area. Dont really know it too well. Just that it is $$$$$$
The Valley (Valley Village) is the other major area- Don't know too much about it. Its driving commute to any of the above mentioned areas. Kids from the valley often go to school in La Brea or Pico. There are schools closer but LA is flexible in the sense that "just because you live in area X doesn't mean you can't go to school in area Y if it fits your child/family better".
More LA info to come!!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:50 pm
LA Amother here again... Forgot about the community Santa Monica/Venice. Quite small, more houses than apartments. All children must go to La Brea or Pico to school. One major shul- PJC (shul on the beach) but there are smaller "house minyanim".
Schools: (in no order).You apply for elementary school and then again for high school. While ther are feeder schools, there is no guarentee that your child will get in. Not sure about Chabad and Chassidish Cheder.
We have a Chabad run school system (separate boys and girls, elementary and high schools). Chabad kids can go to other schools, but this is a Chabad run school. Not known for the highest of academic standards. Schools are in Pico, except for the boy's high school which has a dorm and is in La Brea.
We have a Chassidish school system called the "Cheder" (separate for boys and girls, elementary and high schools). They speak Yiddish at least for the boys. Not the highest academics but it is "the frummest". The schools are in La Brea.
Then for just elementary schools:
Harkham Hillel - Quite MO, in Pico. Decent academics. Boys and girls are in the same building, separate classes.
Yavneh Hebrew Academy- in La Brea. Gorgeous campus. MO and Tzioni. Excellent academics. Boys and girls are in the same building, separate classes. They have a basketball team (not sure what other sports) and a real gym, computer lab, library etc.
Yeshiva Rav Isaacson Toras Emes- in La Brea, no "campus" but multiple buildings spread across a few blocks. Different buildings for each section (boys/girls and elementary/junior high). This is the biggest school in the USA I believe outside the Tri-State. Over 1200 kids but I have heard estimates at much higher numbers. Multiple classes per grade. Not great on academics, especially in general studies. But it is quite yeshivish. Families must send all their kids there (in general) or none of their kids.
Yeshivas Ohr Eliyahu- Decent academics, more on the yeshivish bent. Beautiful campus, now in La Brea. I heard it is hard to get into if you just want to switch schools in the upper grades but if you are moving into town, it could be different. it depends on if that particular grade has space.
Etz Jacob- In La Brea but kind of on the outskirts. Don't know much about the school. Very small school.
Maimonedes- Its in Pico but don't know tons about it (Hashkafa, academics). It is less Yeshivish than say Ohr Eliyahu or Toras Emes. I know about some of the teachers there and do know they have some great educators though!
Emek- in the Valley and most of the students that go there are from the Valley.
There is also a sephardic school- Tashbar. Not known for academics and I think is cheaper. It is also mainly for Sephardim.
About pricing- it changes every so often so I don't have recent numbers. But many of the schools have websites. Just google the "name+Los Angeles" and if they have a website you can see for yourself.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:12 pm
High Schools- Girls
Bais Yaakov Los Angeles (BYLA)- yeshivish, can be academic (they are tracked for some subjects). R' Bursztyn is the menahel and he truly cares about each girl. Knows them all by name (and their middle names and nicknames like wanting to be known as Sarale vs Sara Rivkah Rochel). Big into chessed in the community. about 3 classes per grade. Has a science lab.
YULA- They have a boys and girls division (separate campuses). VERY high academics- They boast about their students getting into Top /Ivy League universities. Very MO to MO. And very expensive. Lots of extra curricular.
Valley Torah Girls (They also have a boys school)- in the Valley. Nice academics but I have heard that not all the students are at the same level yiddishkeit wise.
Bnos Devorah- newer school, its somewhere in between BYLA and YULA. Small school.
yeshiva hi tech- they have boys and girls, not sure if mixed. Interesting to note- many classes are on the computer to keep tuition down and teach each student where they are (teachers are present to help). LOW tuition.
Ohr Haemet- Sephardic school.
To show how big the community is- BYLA is in the old Yavneh building (where it was until 8th grade, now serves just high school), Bnos Devorah is in the old BY building. Yavneh is I believe on a small law school campus. obviously each building retrofitted for their current students needs.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:38 pm
Emek is indeed a school that is located in Sherman Oaks but there are families that drive from ALL over the greater LA area to send their kids to Emek...

From as far as Redondo Beach and Long Beach to Santa Monica North Beverly Hills, Pico, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks and even Camarillo.

Families are beginning to discover one of LA's great hidden jewels.

Emek has passionate teachers that are committed to differentiating instruction to meet the learning styles of all students. They are a 21st century school filled with knowledgeable teachers and they encourage children to grow into innovators and leaders.

Many families have joined Emek in the past several years from other schools: They have switched from Maimonides, Hillel, Toras Emes and yes, even Yavne.

There are a lot of wonderful school with fantastic reputations but I must say Emek not only has an outstanding staff they also have a big HEART.

You also neglected to mention Shalhevet which is another cutting edge school located on Fairfax and Olympic. The best way to describe them is they are the Cherry Coke of Jewish High School education, as Rabbi Segal so eloquently put it at the Open House on Monday. Shalhevet is coed-like Ramaz and Frisch.
They believe, that the social curriculum is AS important as the Academic curriculum, or for those of you who are not clear... The STUDENTS are the schools main priority.

LA has a lot of different opportunities. The best way to get information is by VISITING all the schools yourself and making your own educated choice!

Good Luckl!!
I am sure you will make the prefect choice for your child!!!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
Emek is indeed a school that is located in Sherman Oaks but there are families that drive from ALL over the greater LA area to send their kids to Emek...

You also neglected to mention Shalhevet ...

LA Amother here:
The reason I did not mention Shalhevet is that the OP remarked that she was "Modern Yeshivish". Typically, if someone includes the word "Yeshivish" in their self-description, co-ed schools are not "an option" for them. Shalhevet has also been in the news about female students wanting to wear tefilin. Not wanting to go into a debate on that, but that hashkafa typically is of left wing MO. There might be exceptions but again, it is not a stance that anyone who calls themself "yeshivish" usually has. Why cause confusion and possibly make the post so cluttered so that the OP cannot find the right rose among the thorns for her children?? I was not making a definitive list with paragraph descriptions of each school.
And the fact that Emek has students transfer in from other schools is not as unique as you imply. I know of students who have switched from Yavneh to Toras Emes, YULA to BYLA (actually quite a few who did that in the middle of high school when switching is not so common), Tashbar to Hillel and Yavneh... and that is off the top of my head. I have no doubt that Emek is a good school- I know they have some amazing teachers. One does need to know that it is in Sherman Oaks, which can be quite the commute during rush hour in Los Angeles depending on where you are coming from. I think the worst thing about LA is the traffic, but every area has its downsides and traffic is not a big deal when you think about all the amazing things our city has to offer...
Another plus to LA is that you are not stuck in the same school from pre-k until 12th grade- many students do not go the "traditional" route of feeder schools. For instance, girls from Yavneh typically go to YULA. However, many have gone to BYLA. Cheder girls sometimes go to their high school but some go to BYLA.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:30 pm
LA Amother here:
Didn't get a chance to post this before but here is a listing of boys high schools. I have not reached the point of sending to boys high schools yet so do not know a tremendous amount about each one, except for those where I know rebbeim or students who go there. I hope I remembered them all (done from memory).
Yes, there is Shalhevet as another amother posted. But it is coed. Between Pico and La Brea but closer to Pico.
Then there is YULA boys- separate campus from the girls, MO. High academics with lots of extra curricular. Pico
Ohr Chanoch- Pico. It is a sephardic high school so that they boys can learn Sephardic Halachos,minhagim, Daven their Nusach...
Note: Whenever I say its a Sephardic school, I don't mean its discriminatory in any way. Sephardic students attend all the other schools but this is a school geared so that they can learn their minhagim instead of becoming "ashkenized".
Mesivta of Greater Los Angeles- This is in Calabasas which is towards the valley. It is not in Valley Village or Sherman Oaks but its still part of the greater LA region. There is a dorm that boys from LA as well as out of state dorm in. I hear it is an amazing school with great rebbeim.
Yeshiva Gedola- Near Pico but sort of at a midway point. Used to be the typical high school for yeshivish boys but they don't offer enough secular classes to graduate with a diploma recognized by the state. They are not accredited. Students have to take the GED exam to enter any sort of post-high school secular program (community college etc) and even then they are not prepared academically.
Mesivta Birkas Yitzchok-MBY- Pico. I think this is the hidden gem of high schools, especially for those who are "yeshivish but not sure if kollel forever is my area". They give a high school diploma. They aim to prepare the boys in both Kodesh and secular studies so that "no matter what they end up doing, they will be prepared". Serious learners too.
Chabad- In La Brea. They have a dorm as well for their students in the high school.
Ner Aryeh- Its in the Valley. I believe it is of the "chofetz chaim" derech but not sure.
Valley Torah High School- In the valley.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:59 pm
Mesivta birkas Yitzchak /Mby. Is not that yeshivish. Big percentage of the boys there go to movies and don't hide it. Black pants and white shirts are not required but recommended. You do have to wear slacks and button down shirts.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 1:37 pm
Hillel Academy does not require a uniform and has a very lax dress code. Just spoke to one of their students who said that girls come in short short skirts (way above the knee) and that is ok by the administration.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Mesivta birkas Yitzchak /Mby. Is not that yeshivish. Big percentage of the boys there go to movies and don't hide it. Black pants and white shirts are not required but recommended. You do have to wear slacks and button down shirts.

Guess I'll have to do more research before sending my son there. But maybe it will change in a few years. Schools here do tend to change, especially when they are still on the "newer" side. I don't like the movies thing, but I do like the fact that they are prepared for college. At least a lot better prepared than some of the other schools like Yeshiva Gedola! To me white shirts/black pants doesn't always tell a lot about the students. I think there are other more objective descriptions for their graduates. Where are they in terms of Beis Medresh opportunities? Does the majority go? To what type of places? Do many go to college instead of or after BM? What type of colleges? Local, Touro, Ivy League? (trying to give examples of what I am asking, not that I want my son necessarily going to Yale. I don't believe they have such a large community nearby for shabbos...)

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 1:46 pm
OP: Can you please let all us LA Amothers know what other kinds of information we can help you with?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 5:20 pm
OP here.

Wow thank you for all this info, it is really appreciated.

I've had a look into the different schools and would appreciate some more help!
We currently send to a BY (elementary and high school) and our sons are at a yeshiva with strong general studies. The high school options seem a lot clearer we were already looking into Mesivta Birkas Yitzchok and BY.

I've had a look into the different schools, I think Yeshivas Ohr Eliyahu would be the best fit for us, but if it is difficult to get accepted to, Yeshiva Rav Isaacson may not be a good option, 1200 kids is huge!
Aside from academics what are the other differences between Yeshiva Rav Isaacson Toras Emes and Yeshivas Ohr Eliyahu? Is Yeshivas Ohr Eliyahu weaker in LK? How do the families that send differ? Do Yeshiva Rav Isaacson graduates go to Mesivta Birkas Yitzchok/Chofetz Chaim or is it more geared to Yeshiva Gedola?

Are there any other more mainstream yeshivish options for elementary? A lot of the other schools listed seem very mixed

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:
LA Amother here again... Forgot about the community Santa Monica/Venice. Quite small, more houses than apartments. All children must go to La Brea or Pico to school. One major shul- PJC (shul on the beach) but there are smaller "house minyanim".
Schools: (in no order).You apply for elementary school and then again for high school. While ther are feeder schools, there is no guarentee that your child will get in. Not sure about Chabad and Chassidish Cheder.
We have a Chabad run school system (separate boys and girls, elementary and high schools). Chabad kids can go to other schools, but this is a Chabad run school. Not known for the highest of academic standards. Perhaps not the best academics but most definitely has an amazing and caring prinicipal Schools are in Pico, except for the boy's high school which has a dorm and is in La Brea.
We have a Chassidish school system called the "Cheder" (separate for boys and girls, elementary and high schools). They speak Yiddish at least for the boys. Not the highest academics but it is "the frummest". The schools are in La Brea.
Then for just elementary schools:
Harkham Hillel - Quite MO, in Pico. Decent academics. Boys and girls are in the same building, separate classes.
Yavneh Hebrew Academy- in La Brea. Gorgeous campus. MO and Tzioni. Excellent academics. Boys and girls are in the same building, separate classes. They have a basketball team (not sure what other sports) and a real gym, computer lab, library etc.
Yeshiva Rav Isaacson Toras Emes- in La Brea, no "campus" but multiple buildings spread across a few blocks. Different buildings for each section (boys/girls and elementary/junior high). This is the biggest school in the USA I believe outside the Tri-State. Over 1200 kids but I have heard estimates at much higher numbers. Multiple classes per grade. Not great on academics, especially in general studies. But it is quite yeshivish. Families must send all their kids there (in general) or none of their kids.
Yeshivas Ohr Eliyahu- Decent academics, more on the yeshivish bent. Beautiful campus, now in La Brea. I heard it is hard to get into if you just want to switch schools in the upper grades but if you are moving into town, it could be different. it depends on if that particular grade has space.
Etz Jacob- In La Brea but kind of on the outskirts. Don't know much about the school. Very small school. Many students with learning disabilities, others on full tuition as the principal will not turn away a student due to the lack of funds.
Maimonedes- Its in Pico but don't know tons about it (Hashkafa, academics). It is less Yeshivish than say Ohr Eliyahu or Toras Emes. I know about some of the teachers there and do know they have some great educators though! Very Zionistic, Co-ed, great education.
Emek- in the Valley and most of the students that go there are from the Valley. Very mixed student body, from traditional Israeli to LWYeshivish.
There is also a sephardic school- Tashbar. Not known for academics and I think is cheaper. It is also mainly for Sephardim.

Torat Haim - Sefardi elementary school with separate buildings for boys and girls.
About pricing- it changes every so often so I don't have recent numbers. But many of the schools have websites. Just google the "name+Los Angeles" and if they have a website you can see for yourself.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
LA Amother here:
Didn't get a chance to post this before but here is a listing of boys high schools. I have not reached the point of sending to boys high schools yet so do not know a tremendous amount about each one, except for those where I know rebbeim or students who go there. I hope I remembered them all (done from memory).
Yes, there is Shalhevet as another amother posted. But it is coed. Between Pico and La Brea but closer to Pico.
Then there is YULA boys- separate campus from the girls, MO. High academics with lots of extra curricular. Pico
Ohr Chanoch- Pico. It is a sephardic high school so that they boys can learn Sephardic Halachos,minhagim, Daven their Nusach...
Note: Whenever I say its a Sephardic school, I don't mean its discriminatory in any way. Sephardic students attend all the other schools but this is a school geared so that they can learn their minhagim instead of becoming "ashkenized".
Mesivta of Greater Los Angeles- This is in Calabasas which is towards the valley. It is not in Valley Village or Sherman Oaks but its still part of the greater LA region. There is a dorm that boys from LA as well as out of state dorm in. I hear it is an amazing school with great rebbeim.
Yeshiva Gedola- Near Pico but sort of at a midway point. Used to be the typical high school for yeshivish boys but they don't offer enough secular classes to graduate with a diploma recognized by the state. They are not accredited. Students have to take the GED exam to enter any sort of post-high school secular program (community college etc) and even then they are not prepared academically.
Mesivta Birkas Yitzchok-MBY- Pico. I think this is the hidden gem of high schools, especially for those who are "yeshivish but not sure if kollel forever is my area". They give a high school diploma. They aim to prepare the boys in both Kodesh and secular studies so that "no matter what they end up doing, they will be prepared". Serious learners too.
Chabad- In La Brea. They have a dorm as well for their students in the high school. Yeshiva Ohr Elchonon Chabad - they have a Mesivta as well as Bais Medrash. The Mesivta is grades 9-11 and they have a full time Kodesh track and a GS track, the GS are not so great but the students do receive a High School Diploma.

Valley Torah - Known for it's good education and great, caring and devoted principal. They have boys traveling there every day from all over the Greater LA.
Ner Aryeh- Its in the Valley. I believe it is of the "chofetz chaim" derech but not sure.
Valley Torah High School- In the valley.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:29 am
amother wrote:
Guess I'll have to do more research before sending my son there. But maybe it will change in a few years. Schools here do tend to change, especially when they are still on the "newer" side. I don't like the movies thing, but I do like the fact that they are prepared for college. At least a lot better prepared than some of the other schools like Yeshiva Gedola! To me white shirts/black pants doesn't always tell a lot about the students. I think there are other more objective descriptions for their graduates. Where are they in terms of Beis Medresh opportunities? Does the majority go? To what type of places? Do many go to college instead of or after BM? What type of colleges? Local, Touro, Ivy League? (trying to give examples of what I am asking, not that I want my son necessarily going to Yale. I don't believe they have such a large community nearby for shabbos...)

I would say that Mby have a large crowd of families who openly go to movies and not black hat sometimes the boys even talk to girls. Op said she is MO so it will be good for her. I heard that Mby is not really a yeshiva. It is more like a high school. It is kind of confusing and not what it looks like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating