Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Urgent! car seat dilema!!!

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:28 pm
I needed a new car seat for my almost 2 year old who is pretty small for her age 19-20lb I asked dh to get a convertable car seat so we can still put her rear facing.
I showed him online what I found on Targethttp://www.target.com/p/evenflo-tribute-convertible-car-seat/-/A-15142093#prodSlot=_1_7 he didn't find any besides for one floor sample so he got a different one he thought looked similar. He just brought it up so I can adjust the straps for dc. And I see he bought a booster that doesn't go rear facing! http://www.target.com/p/evenfl.....20223 I'm so frustrated because were supposed to travel with all kids and I'm confused as to what to do about the safty of the car seat for dd.
There is no way we can have time to return it before we leave with a short Friday and dh still going in to work a bit!
Wraaa I'm maaad!!!!!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:46 pm
Do you have another car seat that would fit the one year old rear facing, and have an older child use the maestro?

ETA a tribute would be a waste of money anyway, since a child that age would outgrow it very quickly unless he is very short

Last edited by MaBelleVie on Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

miami85

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:46 pm
While they may have found that it may be safer to have a child rear-facing until s/he is 2, it's still legal to do it earlier. We actually did it with both of my kids when we travelled a long distance and it was going to be annoying for both child and parent to have them rear facing for so long. Remember, that ultimately HaShem is the Shomer Yisrael, and will protect your child from harm. It may not be worth the lack of shalom bayis and hassle on a short Friday to return it, when your child is almost 2--and in the zechus of these 2 things, may you be protected!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:49 pm
miami85 wrote:
While they may have found that it may be safer to have a child rear-facing until s/he is 2, it's still legal to do it earlier. We actually did it with both of my kids when we travelled a long distance and it was going to be annoying for both child and parent to have them rear facing for so long. Remember, that ultimately HaShem is the Shomer Yisrael, and will protect your child from harm. It may not be worth the lack of shalom bayis and hassle on a short Friday to return it, when your child is almost 2--and in the zechus of these 2 things, may you be protected!

Banging head

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 11:05 pm
I don't have another car seat for her as my newborn needs the one she had till now and the older kids have boosters.
The reason I wanted to have the possibility of rear facing is because she is so small I wanted at least another bit for her to get older and bigger. Oh well! I don't know. Maybe its just my kimeturin me overexaggerating.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 11:18 pm
If she was in an infant car seat she probably outgrew it by height already anyway.

michal817

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 11:20 pm
You're not over exaggerating, you're 100% correct in wanting to rf your toddler- it is so much safer than ff at her age. If there really isn't time to return it/buy a new one, could you possibly borrow a seat from someone you trust? (Meaning that it isn't expired, was never in an accident, and only cleaned according to manufacturer's instructions)

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 11:21 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
If she was in an infant car seat she probably outgrew it by height already anyway.

No she didn't she is tiny. She was really comfortable in it still. That's my point in wanting the convertible kind.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 11:42 pm
Comfortable doesn't mean it wasn't outgrown according to the manufacturer Smile You're absolutely right that she should continue to rear face, I was just pointing out that her current seat may not be safe either.
I like the idea of borrowing from someone who is conscientious about car seat safety.

ima_dina084

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 11:59 pm
Laughing Bag! wrote:
I needed a new car seat for my almost 2 year old who is pretty small for her age 19-20lb I asked dh to get a convertable car seat so we can still put her rear facing.
I showed him online what I found on Targethttp://www.target.com/p/evenflo-tribute-convertible-car-seat/-/A-15142093#prodSlot=_1_7 he didn't find any besides for one floor sample so he got a different one he thought looked similar. He just brought it up so I can adjust the straps for dc. And I see he bought a booster that doesn't go rear facing! http://www.target.com/p/evenfl.....20223 I'm so frustrated because were supposed to travel with all kids and I'm confused as to what to do about the safty of the car seat for dd.
There is no way we can have time to return it before we leave with a short Friday and dh still going in to work a bit!
Wraaa I'm maaad!!!!!

Is there another baby store next to you? Can you buy a new seat there quickly in the morning and return the target one when you have time?

Or can you borrow a seat ?

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 12:22 am
I agree that maybe you should try to borrow if you can and return the other car seat tomorrow. It likes like she doesn't even meet the minimum weight requirement for this car seat yet.

I would not refuse to rear face if absolutely necessary but I think it should at least be in a car seat they fit into.

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this last minute. We went through a similar situation when sent my husband to buy a car seat for traveling (happened to be the same Evenflo carseat you were looking for).

I hope you are able to figure something out!

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:10 am
Don't know where you live but you can pm me to find out if it's close by, if you want to borrow my rear facing convertible for shabbos. When will you be returning?

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:35 am
Dh wont have time to make any extra stops tomorrow. We still need to pick up my 2 big ones from school before 12.
And thank you The Happy Wife for pointing out to me that she doesn't even meet the minimum required measurements. Oh My now I'm really stuck! I just might have to have dh skip work altogether, and get this exchanged.
Oh I'm so frustrated! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 9:38 am
Ok so it seems I'll be using the car seat the online requirements are different than the ones on the actual seat. Besides I started reading the reviews and people got it from the age of 14-15m and on so I guess we'll make do.
Btw the night requirements makes no sense. It says min 43" dd 5.5 who is nice and tall for her age is only 42" I doubt any 18-22lb kid is that hight. Which are the 2 min hights I see for this seat.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 9:46 am
The fact that other people are using it unsafely doesn't actually make it safer for you. The minimum weight for using it harnessed is 22 lbs and the minimum height is 28". There are separate height and weight minimums for using it as a booster, which are not relevant to this child right now.

(BTW 42" is not tall for 5.5 Wink )

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 10:18 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
The fact that other people are using it unsafely doesn't actually make it safer for you. The minimum weight for using it harnessed is 22 lbs and the minimum height is 28". There are separate height and weight minimums for using it as a booster, which are not relevant to this child right now.

(BTW 42" is not tall for 5.5 Wink )

On the car seat it says min 18lb didnt see a smaller hight, can check again, but 28"sounds like ok. So I tried measuring her with a yard stick about 29-30". And weighed her to be 20lb. I guess I'm good to go besides for the fact that I rather wanted rear facing we'll stick to what we have.
Sorry just double checked she is dd 5.5 is 44" IIRC I was told more like 70-75 percentile. In her class she is from the taller ones.

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 10:23 am
Just checked on chart my 22m old is below the 5th percentile for hight and weight. :-)

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 10:43 am
I don't think there is any forward facing seat that starts at 18 lbs. Definitely not the maestro.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics