Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Meitzad

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:18 am
Has anybody ever heard of Meitzad? It's supposed to be a small, english speaking community in the Gush area? Was wondering if anybody lives there or knows anyone who does.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:21 am
There was a poster from there many years ago, but I don't think she's here anymore!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:28 am
I dont know if this will help you or if you read hebrew, but I found this: http://www.metzad.com/

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:33 am
We lived there about 15 years ago. It was english speaking hippee types, governed by one rebbe, from Har Tzion, Old City. It's a long drive into the gush.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 7:09 am
Thanks for the website, that was a great help.

I know that the community has changed recently and was hoping to get some more current information.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:31 am
We looked into it a couple of years ago. The only true chutzniks left are a couple of older couples from that original Diaspora Yeshiva (Har Tzion) group. A few of their children have continued raising their families there, so there are a few younger English-speaking families, but not too many. Mostly young Israeli families from what I remember. It's a really small family-type place. I don't even think there was a makolet- someone sells things from his house a couple of hours a day. It's also not great bus service- like 6 buses a day, 3-4 in each direction. If you have any specific questions, I can try to remember or ask my husband if he recalls.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:33 am
Same amother from just above- I wanted to add that the families we met were very welcoming and seemed to enjoy living there.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:21 am
bump

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:56 am
Not a huge American community but definitely plenty of English speakers. Pretty chareidi or chareidi chilled. Lots of people have kosher phones. Bus service still sucks. It's still pretty far into the Gush and secluded and most homes there are caravans. It's kinda of looks like a caravan campgrounds. The makolet is still not open all day and it's a tiny room. Closest grocery is like 30 minutes away.

Hard to find housing there.

Its a very sweet and welcoming community and it's not very large.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:31 pm
Thank you!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:01 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Not a huge American community but definitely plenty of English speakers. Pretty chareidi or chareidi chilled. Lots of people have kosher phones. Bus service still sucks. It's still pretty far into the Gush and secluded and most homes there are caravans. It's kinda of looks like a caravan campgrounds. The makolet is still not open all day and it's a tiny room. Closest grocery is like 30 minutes away.

Hard to find housing there.

Its a very sweet and welcoming community and it's not very large.
You must be mistaking meitzad with someplace else. Meitzad, Im almost certain, has homes and was started by anglo olim Smile

Are you possibly thinkng of maale amos?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:04 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
You must be mistaking meitzad with someplace else. Meitzad, Im almost certain, has homes and was started by anglo olim Smile

Are you possibly thinkng of maale amos?

That is correct. It does have homes but when Iast was there two years ago I remember seeing more caravans than homes.

It was started by anglos but is more Israeli today.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:22 pm
Depends which part of it.
Most people do live in houses. But there is a whole middle part with caravans.
And about the phones- there's barely any reception there Smile
It's a very nice place. The people there are all so sweet.
Yes tiny grocery and very expensive. One medical clinic I think. Don't remember which kupat cholim.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:45 pm
I'm the amother from Sun, Nov 16 2014, 5:31 pm. I haven't been there since a couple years before 2014, but I also remember mostly caravans. As far as I remember, people have to be accepted into the yishuv and then rent a caravan from the yishuv. I think they didn't allow or at least discouraged buying or renting any other way. They were also very particular about who they let in. We were rejected, they said because we were newlywed and would be focusing too much on our family and not enough on the community. They said to re-apply after we've been married half a year or so, but we never did. They didn't have many homes available, so they wanted the most bang for their buck, so to speak.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions