Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shatnez question

sim

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 3:04 pm
Dd just bought a junee skirt from the store's own label. It's wool. I called to see if it is shatnez free, & they said they don't guarantee anything. I don't have a shatnez lab where I live; does anyone know anything about these garments?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 3:13 pm
I don't know anything about it, but if you do find out it is, tell them because they're not allowed to sell it.

miami85

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 3:36 pm
My mother is a shaatnez tester, and I was her "deputy" for years fielding questions from my friends and heard her responses to her clients. Does the skirt have a waistband where a piece of linen could be hiding? Can you feel anything iside? Linen is used as a stiffening agent in the garment in a suit that's the collar or waistband. It's rare in women's clothing. If there's an embroidered design the thread is another potential spot for linen, but it's rare.

sim

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:48 pm
Thanks for your responses. I was surprised by the answer I got from the store because I was also under the impression that they could not sell shatnez garments. I expected to be told that of course it isn't, as it is their own label.
that said, there is no embroidery on the garment and the waist does not seem to have any filling material. Does anyone know a contact number for a shatnez laboratory somewhere in the metropolitan area that I could call and ask?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:54 pm
The people at flatbush shatnez testing have always been helpful: 718-382-5689
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics