Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interview in Manhattan - Shoes

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:18 am
I have a job interview in Manhattan next week. I'm taking public transportation. The weather forecast for the day of the interview is in the 30s (Fahrenheit).

My typical interview outfit is a skirt suit, nude pantyhose, and heels, but I don't love the idea of walking around Manhattan in pantyhose and heels when it's so cold and my feet are going to hurt. If I were driving, I would wear my comfortable, warm, flat boots to drive in, change into my heels when I get to the office, and leave the boots in the car, but I can't leave the boots anywhere if I'm taking the train. I'd have to carry them with me.

Does anyone ever do this? Could the right pair of boots (mine are really stylish) be considered appropriate interview attire if they go with the rest of the outfit? Or do I just have to suffer and walk around Manhattan in my heels and freeze?

Levtov

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:15 pm
Long-range forecasts are never accurate. It could very well be warmer than expected. Relax, and may your interview be successful iyh!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:22 pm
Take a car service.

The job is worth it and so is your comfort.

Have them pick you up and take you there.

Just one way.

For the return trip, have them pick you up again while you wait in a coffee shop or lobby, or, just hail a cab and go home.

If it is horrible weather, pouring, there will be no cabs. In that case call a car service for both directions. Going home, you may have to wait for a car, because you don't know how long the interview will take.

Simply make it easy for yourself.

Or wear warm, waterproof boots. It's no crime. If you are that kind of person, they might as well know that. It's not terrible, but it may depend on the level of job you are going for.

The higher the job, the more you are expected to look exact and to get there unmussed by taking a car service.

Your call.

penguin

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:32 pm
Is it the kind of building with a doorperson or receptionist in the lobby? Perhaps you can change to shoes when you arrive and ask them to hold your boots?

mille

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:46 pm
If you really want to wear heels, wear boots to get there and bring a messenger bag or some other type of bag with shoes to change into, that can also hold your boots. Presumably you will be going in a winter coat and whatnot and have to un-bundle before the interview itself, so perhaps you could leave your bag with your coat (and bring your important stuff with you in a little clutch, and resume copies in a folder). But I would bring an actual bag to carry them instead of like a plastic bag, just in case you will have to bring your whole bag with you. If there's no lobby or place that would make sense to slyly change your shoes at the actual job site, look on google maps for the nearest Starbucks or whatever and stop in before your interview to change your shoes.

Alternatively, if your boots are very nice, polished, and not too high, they could be interview appropriate. Hard to say without seeing them.

That said, keep in mind that everyone in Manhattan knows that it's winter and 30 degrees outside. I don't think anyone would reasonably fault anyone for dressing appropriately for the season. I wouldn't wear target-brand "uggs" boots, or your scuffed up snow boots with the lace-up front and fur top, or knee-high black heeled boots, but a mid-calf neutral boot that goes with the outfit is appropriate, I think.

esther09

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:03 pm
Depends on the office you work in.

IMO, boots are not interview appropriate at all -- anyone who said otherwise is must work in a very informal environment. What I do in your situation is wear flats or sneakers with my stockings to get where I need to go, bring a shoulder bag with my heels and change shoes either in the lobby or right before walking into the building. If your boots can fold down, wear those to travel but definitely change into heels or nice flats.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:21 pm
OP - Thanks for the input. I do have one of those giant purses that I can fit the boots into, so I think I'm going to go with the "travel in boots, change into the heels in a nearby Starbucks, and keep the boots in my giant purse" plan.

The job is a great opportunity - wish me luck!

monseychick

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:30 pm
Another vote for take a car service....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics