Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How do u get rid of hard snot stuffed nose??

picklelover

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:19 am
Ever since the weather got cold (like two weeks now) my son has this hard snot and it hurts him if I try to get it out.. It bleeds.. But he is so uncomfortable cuz of it; it's hard for him to breathe properly and I feel like it's making him quick to get irritated and upset in general.
I'm thinking after a hot bath would be easier but it's not enough cuz it fills up quickly so I probably need to clear it a few times a day..
Maybe a humidifier at night? What's a humidifier for? I once used one when I had a bad cold with teary eyes, runny nose etc.
Would a humidifier help to clear his nose? (I don't have one so I'll go out and buy one if it's supposed to help..)
Any advice?
Thank you!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:21 am
after a shower/bath when it will be soft and warm in the nose, use an aspirator to get all of the snot out. I did the same with my daughter, for years.
Also, nasal saline sprayed before bed and vaseline spread inside as well has helped us a lot.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:48 am
Humidifier can help. U can get a Rx from Dr if u like things free/cheap. Add salt for adequate vapor. Next to the shower is a great idea too.for some reason I've never been successful with an aspirator, but I keep a baby medicine dispenser for this purpose. Sorry, typo s galore

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:52 am
Treat yourself to a long hot shower, and put him on the bathroom floor with lots of toys. By the time your done he may be able to breathe better and you'll have more luck.

If you live in an area with dry winters, a humidifier is a great investment. I got mine at Walgreens for $15.00.

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:23 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
after a shower/bath when it will be soft and warm in the nose, use an aspirator to get all of the snot out. I did the same with my daughter, for years.
Also, nasal saline sprayed before bed and vaseline spread inside as well has helped us a lot.

We do this regularly with my 4 yo. We use the nose freeda. He screams his head off but it makes a huge difference.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:26 am
mha3484 wrote:
We do this regularly with my 4 yo. We use the nose freeda. He screams his head off but it makes a huge difference.
My daughter also screamed. I gave her a few chocolate chips afterward, as a reward. Smile

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 12:05 pm
preventive thought put water trays near your heater vents ... helps keep the air moist as it's the dryness of the heat that dries out & clogs the nasal passages

then there's the neti pot ... a hot steam shower while you sit in the bathroom & clear it out

also there's preparation H that will help reduce swelling of the nasal passage veins

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:30 pm
Saline spritz a few times a day to loosen it up, plus vaseline in between to prevent the stickiness.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:06 pm
Stick your finger in and pull out the boogas
😃

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:11 pm
Absolutely get a humidifier, or even one for each room. Be sure the water and the machine are always clean, so no germs get spread that way.

Yes to steam. And to Vaseline on a Q tip, maybe.

I am not especially for neti pots; they can cause problems perhaps.

The humidifier(s) should fix the whole thing, in a few days.

Simply put a kettle or pot of water on to boil.

Drinking water hydrates from the inside.

Have some live green plants in the house.

Have a decorative fountain in the house. Again, clean water.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Out.....E%7C0

picklelover

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:57 pm
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers