Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How do you put on and take off shoes the halachic way?
Previous  1  2

chani8

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:46 pm
Ilana Tamar wrote:
Chani8, cutting nails has nothing to do with this. The reason for cutting nails the way we do is to differentiate between the way it is done for a live person, and for a dead person at a tahara.

Yes, but why exactly do we cut nails that specific way, the left hand first? (It's for kavod, apparently.)

So, we put tefilin on our left hand, then on our head, then finish with the left hand. Yet, for shoes, we put on our right shoe first, but tie our left shoe first, and finish on the right. I don't really see how there is a connection between tefillin and shoes.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:55 pm
cutting the nails in the specific order - as in jumping around & skipping ... is to differentiate bein chayim v'meis

last I checked - no dead people cut their own nails ~ just sayin'

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:58 pm
Sanguine wrote:
That's what I learned in (PPY)HS too (without the music) but I only found out years and years later that lefties put on the left first and tie it right away and then put on the right. All those years of doing it wrong - That's why I'm such an apikorus

lucky you don't put on tefilin too - or you would be in h e ll o by now Twisted Evil

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:02 pm
The arm or leg we dress first is the "stronger" arm/leg.
For a lefty that's the left hand. Otherwise known as "yemin shelo" the individual's "right" where right=stronger

The side we tie first has to do with which side tefillin is put on. Since tefillin is put on the weaker arm, a righty puts tefillin on the left arm and a lefty puts on the right arm.

It is physically, and therefore halachicly, possible to be left handed but right legged- such a person would play baseball lefthanded but soccer right legged. and they'd get dressed left arm first but right leg first. Put on right shoe first, and tie right shoe first.

otherwise:

For right handeded:
Put on right first
left second
tie left first
tie right second

For left handed:
Put on left first
right second
tie right first
tie left second

ps. I am a lefty and have gone through these halachos many times over my lifetime. some things you do with "your right" ie. your personal stronger side first and other with "yemino shel olam", directional right. it can get complicated for someone somewhat ambidextrous but wont get into it

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:23 pm
Never seen the tying and untying thing, even by charedim.
I've seen putting in order.

chani8

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:32 pm
Ruchel wrote:

I believe it's Shulchan Aruch.

There was a big push to increase awareness of that mitzva (in Israel) with the (true) story of the BT soldier who missed his helicopter ride because of needing to retie his shoes al pi halacha. Turned out, there was a (double?) helicopter crash. So his life was saved by tying his shoes according to halacha.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:50 pm
chani8 wrote:
There was a big push to increase awareness of that mitzva (in Israel) with the (true) story of the BT soldier who missed his helicopter ride because of needing to retie his shoes al pi halacha. Turned out, there was a (double?) helicopter crash. So his life was saved by tying his shoes according to halacha.
I never heard that story

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 3:51 pm
Ruchel wrote:

It is in Shulchan Aruch, and I've done since I've been aware of it. It takes no longer to do it that way than any other way. I'm always surprised to notice people that don't do it.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:10 am
OOTBubby wrote:
It is in Shulchan Aruch, and I've done since I've been aware of it. It takes no longer to do it that way than any other way. I'm always surprised to notice people that don't do it.

I don't mean putting on in right order. I mean tying, then untying.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions