Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Vaccines while baby has a cold?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
A body doesn't fight the fever. Fever is an immune response to some type of infection in the body. It's a way for the body to kill off whatever doesn't belong by making it too hot. Fevers are actually a good thing.

I imagine she meant that the body is busy fighting whatever is causing the fever. That's not the time to introduce more things for the body to fight off.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:58 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
A body doesn't fight the fever. Fever is an immune response to some type of infection in the body. It's a way for the body to kill off whatever doesn't belong by making it too hot. Fevers are actually a good thing.
obviously, but if you have fever from fighting something it means your immunte system is busy fighting that and if you introduce a vaccine it may not have enough of the immune system focused on it b/c of the other distractions to trigger an immune response to the vaccine. not giving vaccines when a kid has fever is not to protect the child b/c it's not dangerous its so that the body will generate the necessary immune response. ask ur doctor to confirm

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:03 am
It is also to the child's benefit because it would not be clear if further symptoms developed whether they were related to an ongoing illness or a reaction to the vaccine.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:46 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I have been told that fever, diareha, vomitibg are all normal side affects from vaccines . Is that not typical?

to clarify, I am talking abt getting dehydrated and hospital stay for a day after one of the vaccines, not mild.
anyways, ended up cancaling the appt.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:51 am
notshanarishona wrote:
to clarify, I am talking abt getting dehydrated and hospital stay for a day after one of the vaccines, not mild.
anyways, ended up cancaling the appt.

Yes, those symptoms can be normal. As for getting so dehydrated that she/he required hospitalization, I would say that that may have a lot to do with you rather than the actual reaction. When a baby is vomiting you need to make sure that the child stays hydrated and not lead to dehydration. not blaming you, but you should be on top of it constantly and call dr with any ticks to keep the child hydrated.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:54 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
It is also to the child's benefit because it would not be clear if further symptoms developed whether they were related to an ongoing illness or a reaction to the vaccine.

And it is also to the child's benefit that if their immune system is engaged in fighting something off, adding another thing to fight off (in the form of a vaccine) may cause the body to be overloaded and not be able to handle so much fighting at once.

I actually thought this was pretty obvious and the main reason for not vaccinating while not well.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, those symptoms can be normal. As for getting so dehydrated that she/he required hospitalization, I would say that that may have a lot to do with you rather than the actual reaction. When a baby is vomiting you need to make sure that the child stays hydrated and not lead to dehydration. not blaming you, but you should be on top of it constantly and call dr with any ticks to keep the child hydrated.

It isn't always possible to keep a child hydrated when vomiting and diarrhea are so severe. You can be on top of it and try all the tricks, and sometimes IV fluids are the only solution.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
I imagine she meant that the body is busy fighting whatever is causing the fever. That's not the time to introduce more things for the body to fight off.

I am not disagreeing! I was just clarifying because all too often I see people thinking that fevers are a problem and must be reduced.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics