Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would this be very offensive?
Previous  1  2

Emotional

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 5:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
I would assume it was for hygiene purposes (the same way all bodily fluids are handles with rubber gloves, etc. these days) and not anti-gross-out purposes.

And suppose it IS for anti-gross-out purposes?
I could understand being embarrassed, but to blame the nurse for being human? To be offended because she doesn't relish the smell? Do you know ANYONE who relishes the smell?
The nurse is not yelling "Eeeeeeeewwww, gross! Look at what I have to clean up!" She is doing her best to minimize the discomfort for herself so she can keep a smile on for her patient.

eschaya

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 8:18 pm
It is very common in the hospital to wear gown and mask if you are doing heavy duty clean up ... If you are nonchalant about it and don't give the patient reason to think you are disgusted by them, you will be fine. Just remember that the patient is likely already embarrassed and in distress, so do everything you can to relieve it. When my patients apologize for having me clean them up, I always remind them how happy I am that their body is functioning well and doing what it's supposed to be doing.
A few years ago I was pregnant and I had a patient with a GI bleed. Anyone in the medical field knows how that smells. I was trying so hard to be nonchalant, but because I was extra sensitive to smells I started gagging and retching and had to run to their bathroom. I felt so bad and was apologizing profusely... and she felt so bad and was apologizing profusely. It was pathetic! But otherwise, you will get used to it; wear a mask, sometimes I chew minty gum, and at some point it won't affect you as much!
Hatzlacha.

ElTam

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 12:27 am
A mask isn't going to block much smell. I'm very sensitive to smell and I rub vicks or some other menthol type spread under my nose. Totally helps. (Once we went camping and I had forgotten. Pit toilets and they smelled AWFUL. I went into the bathroom with toothpaste rubbed under my nose. I looked like a clown but it worked!)

mandksima

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 4:40 pm
It was 14 years ago almost but I remember every time a nurse had to help me with a bedpan or commode emptying when I was in the hospital on strict bedrest for 4 weeks with a high risk pregnancy. It was the most humiliating experience for me but the nurses were really nice. I do remember one of them commenting a bit too much on the frequency of my bowel movements and when I asked her why it mattered, she said that she has to weigh them as part of her job and at that point I felt worse for her than for me!

Bedpans were bad but when I was allowed to use the commode that looked like an ordinary chair next to my bed- that was worse because people would come in and I would be in the middle of doing my thing and would be horrified even if I was covered up. I did not get much privacy and that was very humilitating. I wish the nurses would keep people away somehow during that time but I suppose that wasn't possible with so many patients.

I would not be insulted if a nurse needed to wear a mask. It is a smelly job like changing diapers of food fed children. You can say to a baby, "Oh, what a stinky mess you just made!" and smile at them but it wouldn't please an adult! Just keep the comments to yourselves and realize the patient does not feel comfortable with chitchat about volume/color/frequency etc...

jflower

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
I am a newly graduated nurse, and don't see why that would be a huge problem, I have seen nurses wear masks at various times and I do myself sometimes too. I definitely understand you, no nurse enjoys this side of the job, and it takes a long time to get used to it. Believe it or not, as a nurse in training one of the first things you are expected to be able to participate in is personal care, which includes bed bathing, bed pans etc. I was exactly like you, very uncomfortable with it so you are not alone. But ultimately, if you want to be a nurse, and a good nurse, you just have to get used to it, because it is a part of the job, at least if you work in a hospital and many other areas. So it's always going to be there. Trust me that you will eventually get "used" to it, and although no nurse enjoys it, they manage.
What helps me , is forgetting what I am doing and focusing on the patient as a human being. If the patient, an adult or elderly patient, has to suffer the humiliation and embarrassment of telling me that they have soiled the bed, or that they need help going to the toilet (and I can only imagine how difficult that must be?), then the least I can do for them is help them to feel clean and comfortable, when they are so ill, whilst treating them with the greatest respect and maintaining their dignity to the utmost possible. I am friendly and chatty with my patients. I get to know them, we chat about what book they are reading or their family. The task is to maintain that same level of dignity and to make them feel that you view them, despite their situation and their utter vulnerability, as a human being - nothing less - every time. That is the challenge for me, and that gets me through.
Do you know that though it's not pleasant, I enjoy the feeling now, that once I've finished, I can tuck my patient into their blanket, wish them goodnight, and know that they feel clean and comfortable. I know that they don't feel so disgusting with themselves anymore but slightly more self respect. Do you know what this means to them?
You did not sign up to be a doctor, you are going to be a nurse. We care for the patients physically, emotionally and spiritually. We offer holistic care. The patient will usually forget their doctor in a second - but they will remember their nurse for a lifetime.

Good Luck.

To the amother who posted this: it really warmed my heart to read your post. You sound like a very sensitive & caring person who will be a fabulous nurse. Kudos to you for being so aware of the patient's feelings. Absolutely wonderful.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:09 am
I agree with the poster who said that the mask is not the issue as much as the cheerful calm relaxed disposition is.

My father was in hospital years ago for a small procedure and needed a catheter. something happened and it wasn't in properly. He said he was nearly in tears he was so embarassed but the nurse was so easy going and calm about it he literally felt 100 times better afterwards.

Try vicks vapo rub (I know my nurse friends use that) or wear a mask but don't let them see you hate it.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:33 am
(You could always turn it on yourself with a warm smile (not that a smile can be seen behind a mask LOL )and mention that you have heightened sensitivity to smells...)

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 5:43 pm
mandksima wrote:
It was 14 years ago almost but I remember every time a nurse had to help me with a bedpan or commode emptying when I was in the hospital on strict bedrest for 4 weeks with a high risk pregnancy. It was the most humiliating experience for me but the nurses were really nice. I do remember one of them commenting a bit too much on the frequency of my bowel movements and when I asked her why it mattered, she said that she has to weigh them as part of her job and at that point I felt worse for her than for me!

Bedpans were bespecially n I was allowed to use the commode that looked like an ordinary chair next to my bed- that was worse because people would come in and I would be in the middle of doing my thing and would be horrified even if I was covered up. I did not get much privacy and that was very humilitating. I wish the nurses would keep people away somehow during that time but I suppose that wasn't possible with so many patients.

I would not be insulted if a nurse needed to wear a mask. It is a smelly job like changing diapers of food fed children. You can say to a baby, "Oh, what a stinky mess you just made!" and smile at them but it wouldn't please an adult! Just keep the comments to yourselves and realize the patient does not feel comfortable with chitchat about volume/color/frequency etc...

I am a student and we are taught all the timeto shut the curtains. Maintaning privacy is one of the most important things we are assesed on, in fact the other day I genuinely forgot to draw the curtains as I did not think it was required and was made aware of it. So I am very surprised that you were not given privacy. Commodes definitely require the curtains today be drawn. It is not fun emptying them but it's part of the job and you have to help the patient. You have to be a sensitive person to be a nurse. It is very sad when a patient especially one with dementia calls you and struggles very hard to tell you they need help. It is so humiliating for the patients to feel like a baby. They are so so vulnerable in the situation they are in and someone has to help them. Not everything in nursing is pretty. You must have a strong stomach.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette