Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to Quickly Thaw Frozen Chicken

June

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:01 am
I forgot to take a pkg of chicken out of the freezer last night, so I just took it out about an hour ago.

I need to prepare dinner within the next hour or two, because I work in the afternoon. is there any way to quickly and safely thaw a completely frozen kilo of chicken? preferably in a way that I can refreeze half the pkg in a marinade.

TIA!

Pineapple

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:12 am
Put in a bowl of cold water

June

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:14 am
would defrosting with this method leave my chicken safe to refreeze raw?

Pineapple

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:22 am
Try to break off what you want to re freeze every so often till you can

don't let it defrost to much before refreezing

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:33 am
June wrote:
I forgot to take a pkg of chicken out of the freezer last night, so I just took it out about an hour ago.

I need to prepare dinner within the next hour or two, because I work in the afternoon. is there any way to quickly and safely thaw a completely frozen kilo of chicken? preferably in a way that I can refreeze half the pkg in a marinade.

TIA!
Just cook it frozen. I do that all the time.
Or fill a container with boiling water and let it sit for a bit. The peices will break apart very quickly.

To the poster who said in cold water, why?

Pineapple

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:24 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Just cook it frozen. I do that all the time.
Or fill a container with boiling water and let it sit for a bit. The peices will break apart very quickly.

To the poster who said in cold water, why?

I was told not to put in boiling water especially if she's planning of refreezing some

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:57 am
cooking frozen will make the chicken taste like rubber

go for the slow in a pan of water & like pineapple suggested - every so often change the water and see what pieces pry off ...

once the pieces are off you can cut them and spice them & leave them in single layers - that will help in speeding the process

anything that didn't defrost from the center could be stored away again

next time get out of bed in the middle of the night and grab the chicken out of the freezer - the type of thing that would keep me up until I finally take the plunge

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 4:34 pm
greenfire wrote:
cooking frozen will make the chicken taste like rubber

go for the slow in a pan of water & like pineapple suggested - every so often change the water and see what pieces pry off ...

once the pieces are off you can cut them and spice them & leave them in single layers - that will help in speeding the process

anything that didn't defrost from the center could be stored away again

next time get out of bed in the middle of the night and grab the chicken out of the freezer - the type of thing that would keep me up until I finally take the plunge
I have NEVER EVER had this problem. I have cooked frozen chicken many many times. It has never tasted like rubber.

miami85

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:17 pm
Put it in the sink under cold running water.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:38 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I have NEVER EVER had this problem. I have cooked frozen chicken many many times. It has never tasted like rubber.

oh well - I guess we have different experiences

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:15 pm
June wrote:

TIA!
Like other posters suggested, next time you can seal the chicken in a plastic bag, dunk into a bowl of cold water and let it thaw. Takes pretty quick and chicken stays fresh tasting so you can make a great dish.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:04 pm
definitely cold water
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen