Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 year old DD shakes head random times

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:33 pm
My 6 year old DD lately started shaking her head from side to side, at random times, very quickly (I think she trying to keep me from seeing it)
I had a talk with her about it and her reply was "because it feels like I need to do it"
Then I asked her if she fears something bad will happen if she doesn't do it, and she answered "no, she just feels like she has to do it"
OCD? Should I be concerned?

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:37 pm
Earache?

IMHopinion

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:37 pm
Tourette's ?
Try to ignore it and see if it passes. Don't mention anything to her.
If she doesn't stop within a few weeks, call your ped.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:24 pm
Thanks Dolly, and Imhopinion for your reply.
I don't think it's an earache - she would have told me.
Im going to do research on Tourette's if this doesn't go away.
The reason I was afraid of it being OCD is because my son had it when he was 6 - he made some kind of noise with his tongue - and then admitted that he's doing it to prevent this&this from happening.
In general, my daughter is a bit insecure, and a very deep thinker, so it led me to think that its OCD.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:38 pm
I would call it a tic rather than Tourettes. If you don't think there is a physical pain (ear ache) then try to ignore it. If you don't make a big deal of it, it will hopefully go away in time. However, it might be replaced by a different tic....

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
My 6 year old DD lately started shaking her head from side to side, at random times, very quickly (I think she trying to keep me from seeing it)
I had a talk with her about it and her reply was "because it feels like I need to do it"
Then I asked her if she fears something bad will happen if she doesn't do it, and she answered "no, she just feels like she has to do it"
OCD? Should I be concerned?

Has she recently had strep? You may want to speak to the pediatrician.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:20 pm
Op
She had strep twice about 6 weeks ago.
I read an article about PANDAS a while ago in the Ami magazine- it kinda scared me since my kids have strep often. The author claims that PANDAS is more common than we think.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:17 pm
I would definately suspect PANDAS, especially since it is 6 weeks post strep infection. Your pediatrician can test her strep titers to see if they are rising. 6 years is a common age of early onset of tics related to PANDAS.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics