Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Desperate for Advice: 4 Year old going in underwear

Henna12

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 6:52 pm
My almost four year old DD, who has been toilet trained for over a year and a half, still has #2 accidents in her underwear. Things will be fine for weeks and weeks, and then suddenly it will start happening again, multiple times in one day. She has a tendency towards constipation, so I give her a little miralax, not every day, but somewhat consistently- so at first I thought that maybe she couldn't control it, but I've seen her pushing in a corner- and unless I physically drag her, she refuses to go to the bathroom; even if we ask her every ten minutes, she'll say she doesnt have to go. We tried bribes and sticker charts and everything else you can think of. I'm really starting to lose it, not to mention that her teacher is very unhappy about having to deal with it.

Anyone been through this? Any advice? Really desperate!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:20 pm
You may want to speak to your dr.

I had a child who was having #2 accidents, at a slightly older age mixed with constipation. My dr said that it is very normal. I forget his details but I think he said it messes with the body and it gets confused and misreads queues. He said constipation in young children is common and #2 accidents can come with it.

He said our son should drink a lot, specifically juice like apple and grape (or prune if willing). When that did not work he gave him something to take (miralax maybe, but said to use it sparingly) [I saw you mentioned that]. It made a huge difference and his accidents stopped after a few weeks of this.

b'h he has outgrown the constipation as well. But I remember it as a very trying time for me, and it was embarrassing for him as well.

Henna12

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 9:27 am
Thank you for your advice! Yes, it extremely unpleasant and embarrassing!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 10:46 am
I'm not saying this is the problem, just throwing a suggestion out there. Sometimes kids don't go and the reason is psychological. Perhaps the child is going through a rough time at school or she feels too controlled. You may ant to consider discussing it with a therapist if the issue isn't medical.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 11:25 am
Some kids when potty trained will only make #2 in a diaper, refuse the toilet. I was told it's normal. I don't know asset what age it would be considered a problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training