Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Beg,borrow or steal
Previous  1  2  3  4

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 12:19 pm
we are not using a jewish venue [one way to save monies] - so we could theoretically bring in our own food ... however, the hashgocha is still important factor to consider for our many guests [one way to spend monies]

happy12

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:24 pm
Dear Greenfire,
From your posts it seems your daughter does not want a traditional wedding. Why not make it on Motzei shabbos and just serve bagels and stuff. A bris catering is generally about $10 a person. Get a godd DJ and celebrate.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:36 pm
I just came across this blog, about all different Jewish weddings, some of them budget weddings. Maybe you can get some inspiration.

http://www.smashingtheglass.co.....ings/

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 4:03 am
Would a dairy menu be acceptable?

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 4:07 am
not sure a dairy menu would be proper nor would it save monies when you have a buffet that has to be catered ... but I will take a spinoff on that thought :arrow:

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:40 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
The venue could be a problem. Most Jewish institutions will insist on using approved hashgachos even if all the attendees trust each other.

we are not using a jewish venue ... hence we could cook ourselves - if there was ample time & freezer space ...

alas, I'm afraid if I try we might have food but all go naked

and once you use a caterer - they behave just like a shul - no other food allowed - which I think is ridiculous

kb

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:57 pm
Are there takeout places that you can order from? We did that for a simcha - we ordered most but took care of some of it ourselves.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:19 pm
Mazel tov! I dream of someday making a chasuna at the nature center near the frum community, you know the one in Shaker? Not sure how much rentals there are, but would make for beautiful pictures. And buffet weddings are the best!!

Don't consider cooking the seudah yourself, it's too much hassle and headache in case something goes wrong with the freezer/reheating, you deserve to have someone else deal with all that.

Quote:
Why not make it on Motzei shabbos

How would the kallah have time to shower and get her hair and makeup all done?

cityofgold

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:23 pm
I just read an article (old, Mishpacha) about Friday morning weddings. Apparently lots of places will give big discounts for that timeslot.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:41 pm
cityofgold wrote:
I just read an article (old, Mishpacha) about Friday morning weddings. Apparently lots of places will give big discounts for that timeslot.

some of my relatives have had friday morning weddings. (in america, I believe in Israel they are quite common and popular) They definitely did it to save money. It was really nice.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:15 pm
Green
You just come to Lakewood and get a paper from Tomchei tzadik and go door to door
Or maybe a ladies night out and you come and do a comedy show
You don't even have to say your collecting for yourself
It could be for a mosdos that gives it to you
Privately
I'm serious

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:53 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Green
You just come to Lakewood and get a paper from Tomchei tzadik and go door to door
You don't even have to say your collecting for yourself
It could be for a mosdos that gives it to you
Privately
I'm serious

I have an idea to ramp this up a bit. Two possibilities: Greenfire comes but someone who knows people drives her to meet a few people who, with great dignity will help her out generously. And she flies home that night or the next day. (And her ticket's sponsored.) Or, if it's this easy to get an ishur, someone can get some basic info of Greenfire's situation, go to Tomchei Tzadik (I assume it's your community tzedaka vetting organization. Their ishur is very helpful in maximizing donations) and collect herself on Greenfire's behalf.
There are a lot of things I could say but let's leave at this: Greenfire's on a tight schedule and can't commit to ten days of collecting.

jeweled

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:09 pm
Why limit it to one or the other? Beg, borrow, and steal Smile

My relative just got married without the "whole first part" of the wedding. The kallah walked down half way with parents and the chasson walked to meet her and did the "badeken" in the aisle and then walked the rest way with her. And that saves on the money for paying the band and using the hall for the hour or so before the wedding.

(They weren't doing it to save money. I think the kallah just didn't like crowds. In any event, I think it was very unique and beautiful.)

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:33 pm
jeweled wrote:

My relative just got married without the "whole first part" of the wedding. The kallah walked down half way with parents and the chasson walked to meet her and did the "badeken" in the aisle and then walked the rest way with her. And that saves on the money for paying the band and using the hall for the hour or so before the wedding.

(They weren't doing it to save money. I think the kallah just didn't like crowds. In any event, I think it was very unique and beautiful.)

yup that's the idea - no looking like a sitting duck ,,, and the benefit is saving on half a wedding ...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:56 pm
Why don't you at least post a go fund me account here so we can contribute

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 12:09 am
jeweled wrote:

That's actually the way most Conservative weddings work. FYI.

2gether

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:09 am
Hi everybody, it seems like the only expense is catering and a hall(mainly)

what with...setting up house,sheitals,clothes,
gowns,photographer,band,makeup artist,
aufruf,sheva brachos,etc.??
some realistic ideas needed!

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:50 pm
o'kay so with yael's approval, marina is going to set up a gofund me account ... I guess it's not easy being green when you have a lot more on your plate than just a wedding that you wish to go smoothly

so I'll put my focus from not having toilet paper - to trying to make this simcha work with your help

we'll keep you apprised

~ thanx tons
greenfire Hug

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 1:43 pm
May it always be for simchas LOL

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 8:08 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Green
I'm serious